Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Matthew Miller

Default NetworkManager: I want to believe, but...

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:27:00PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> NM doesn't handle all usage cases yet, which is why the legacy network
> stack is still available for people who need it.

So, the FeatureMoreNetworkManager wiki page says that NetworkManager is
supposed to have new "Chuck Norris" features like supporting static IP
addresses. It didn't work for me on a fresh F9 install, which then was a
headache etc etc. (Even sytem-config-network had the right info, yet
interface kept coming up dhcp.) So, as the Feature page says, it sure would
be an advantage if it worked.

Except, uh, what advantage does this bring me once it's set up? Why have a
daemon and applet and dbus infrastructure monitoring something which by
definition *is not going to change*?

I'm not trying to troll -- I just don't get it. It seems like there's
nothing in the "plus" column here. What am I missing?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>