Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

Default I have a big mouth...

> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
>
> First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
> creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.

+5 Insightful. And Frist Psot to boot!

> -jef

novus ordo absurdum

Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Suren Karapetyan

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html

First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.

-jef

GREAT!!!

> But what really upsets me, is the apparent reality that derived
> distributions based on Debian take Debian completely and utterly for
> granted. That has to stop.

Liked this part the most.
Giving back is one of the main principles which drive FOSS.
A distro which is based on another one SHOULD give the work it does back
to the one it is based on.
A distro which uses a FOSS program SHOULD give back the patches it
creates to upstream.
If a distro manages to translate KDE it SHOULD commit the translations
upstream.

Very close relationships with upstream is one of the main things which
makes me use Fedora (well at thirst it was bleeding edge software, but
it's just a result of following upstream closely).
And that's the main problem I have with FreeBSD. I don't like the
concept of a "base" packages, which have been forked years ago.
And also I don't like the idea of writing "our own grep", "our own
find", "our own date", ...
That's the way I thought when I was 12. I did't like using "other's"
software: I wanted to have "my own".
That's the way Microsoft did with OOXML. They did't want to use
"other's" standards, they wanted to have their own "standard".
And even more... They didn't want to use "other's" standard for storing
dates, they wanted to have their own "standard".

PS: The last part seems to be off-topic

Old 05-17-2008, 01:40 AM
"Horst H. von Brand"

Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
> > First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
> > creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> > of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.
> > -jef

I for one can't see any comments...

> GREAT!!!
>
> > But what really upsets me, is the apparent reality that derived
> > distributions based on Debian take Debian completely and utterly for
> > granted. That has to stop.
>
> Liked this part the most.
> Giving back is one of the main principles which drive FOSS.
> A distro which is based on another one SHOULD give the work it does
> back to the one it is based on.
> A distro which uses a FOSS program SHOULD give back the patches it
> creates to upstream.
> If a distro manages to translate KDE it SHOULD commit the translations
> upstream.
>
> Very close relationships with upstream is one of the main things which
> makes me use Fedora (well at thirst it was bleeding edge software, but
> it's just a result of following upstream closely).
> And that's the main problem I have with FreeBSD. I don't like the
> concept of a "base" packages, which have been forked years ago.
> And also I don't like the idea of writing "our own grep", "our own
> find", "our own date", ...
> That's the way I thought when I was 12. I did't like using "other's"
> software: I wanted to have "my own".
> That's the way Microsoft did with OOXML. They did't want to use
> "other's" standards, they wanted to have their own "standard".
> And even more... They didn't want to use "other's" standard for
> storing dates, they wanted to have their own "standard".
>
> PS: The last part seems to be off-topic

If you look at the *BSD philosophy, for them GPLed stuff just isn't free
enough. So, just like some sofware isn't free enough for Fedora's
standards, they see themselves in the need to forego some stuff or write
their own replacements.

[Please, don't start a BSD vs GPL or some such flamewar over this]

Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Gilboa Davara

> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
>
> First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
> creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.
>
> -jef

/+5 Informative, especially the "Taking Debian for granted" part...

- Gilboa

Old 05-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:29:20AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
>
> First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
> creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.

Ironically, I can't get the comment section to show up in Fedora 9's
FF3.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
"Debarshi Ray"

> Ironically, I can't get the comment section to show up in Fedora 9's
> FF3.

Neither could I on Fedora 8's Epiphany.

Cheerio,
Debarshi
--
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
-- Arthur Ashe

Old 05-17-2008, 02:02 PM
George Billios

Nah, its a problem with the site, worked earlier for me but now not!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:09 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Horst H. von Brand
<vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
>> > First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
>> > creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
>> > of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.
>> > -jef
>
> I for one can't see any comments...

I do, Firefox2/WindowsServer2003 maybe its biased against Linux users.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:09:54PM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> > Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I for one can't see any comments...
>
> I do, Firefox2/WindowsServer2003 maybe its biased against Linux users.

It appears to work fine on MacOS X Safari 3.1.1 and FF 2.0.0.14.

I tried User Agent Switcher with FF3 on F9, and it doesn't make a
difference what user agent I try (IE7 Vista, NS 4.8 Vista, Opera 9.25
Vista)--it still doesn't show any comments section. So this doesn't
appear to be a deliberate user agent-based bias.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Bastien Nocera

> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/hats_off_for_fe.html
>
> First comment in the comment section. Since i love flashing my board
> creds as much as possible. I want to make sure everyone else is aware
> of my attempts at sullying the Fedora Board's reputation.

Except that I don't agree. I wouldn't swap the Fedora/RH maintainers of
the most critical parts of my system with their equivalents in most
other distributions.

FWIW hadess@debian.org still works...