Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM
William Cohen

Default Fedora 9 livecd-creator questions

Hi All,

I have previously generated a livecd spin that includes a Systemtap tutorial
(based on F-7 and F-8). I am updating this livecd to be based on Fedora 9. I
have a couple questions when going through this process to build a SystemTap
tutorial.

The /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-9-base-desktop.ks has :

selinux --enforcing

However this appears to cause the machine creating the livecd to hang as
mentioned in Red Hat bz #445630. I guess for the time being turn off selinux
when generating a livecd. It is a less drastic workaround for this?

I am doing the livecd creation on a x86_64 machine, but I want the livecd to be
an 32-bit (i386) version. Is "setarch i386" command preceeding the
livecd-creator, the way to build a 32-bit livecd on a 64-bit machine without
modifying the kickstart file?

For some of the experiments in the tutorial root access in a shell is required.
What would be the preferred way to allow someone using the livecd to get root
access on the livecd?

We would be happy to make the SystemtapTap tutorial livecd images available as a
custom spin. How does one get a custom spin onto the following list:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

The previous systemtap tutorial livecds iso's are available at:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/ftp/livecds/

-Will

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Rahul Sundaram

William Cohen wrote:

Hi All,

I have previously generated a livecd spin that includes a Systemtap
tutorial (based on F-7 and F-8). I am updating this livecd to be based
on Fedora 9. I have a couple questions when going through this process
to build a SystemTap tutorial.

The /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-9-base-desktop.ks has :

selinux --enforcing

However this appears to cause the machine creating the livecd to hang as
mentioned in Red Hat bz #445630. I guess for the time being turn off
selinux when generating a livecd. It is a less drastic workaround for this?

Set it to permissive mode. Turning it off entirely would prevent you
from creating a live cd with SELinux enforcing since the labels wouldn't
be correct. Refer ongoing fedora-selinux list discussions for details.

I am doing the livecd creation on a x86_64 machine, but I want the
livecd to be an 32-bit (i386) version. Is "setarch i386" command
preceeding the livecd-creator, the way to build a 32-bit livecd on a
64-bit machine without modifying the kickstart file?

Yes.

For some of the experiments in the tutorial root access in a shell is
required. What would be the preferred way to allow someone using the
livecd to get root access on the livecd?

Sure. The default root passwords are blank on the other live images too.

We would be happy to make the SystemtapTap tutorial livecd images
available as a custom spin. How does one get a custom spin onto the
following list:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

We, the spins SIG are responsible for this now. Guidelines at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins

Rahul

Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Eric Paris

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 16:02 -0400, William Cohen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have previously generated a livecd spin that includes a Systemtap tutorial
> (based on F-7 and F-8). I am updating this livecd to be based on Fedora 9. I
> have a couple questions when going through this process to build a SystemTap
> tutorial.
>
> The /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-9-base-desktop.ks has :
>
> selinux --enforcing
>
> However this appears to cause the machine creating the livecd to hang as
> mentioned in Red Hat bz #445630. I guess for the time being turn off selinux
> when generating a livecd. It is a less drastic workaround for this?

Biggest problem is trying to build say an F9 livecd on F8. When it
installs the selinux policy in the chroot it actually loads that policy
into the running kernel and crap hits the fan. For today your best
choices I think are the run F9 composes on F9 with it set permissive, or
turn it all the way off.

I've been working on making selinux and livecd-creator play nicely
together all week. Actually today I got my first bootable livecd images
out of a rawhide machine running enforcing. But I still doubt I could
get an F9 cd out of a say an F6 system. I'll get there but its still a
ways out since me/the selinux community is blundering around in the dark
without a guide on how the whole buildroot/livecd/rpm stuff works.

> For some of the experiments in the tutorial root access in a shell is required.
> What would be the preferred way to allow someone using the livecd to get root
> access on the livecd?

I added a rootpw blahblah statement to my kickstart and it didn't take.
Could be because it just doesn't care or it could be because it was
rawhide. Anyway, if you do get a rootpw loaded let me know how you
fixed that.

-Eric