Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 AM
"Michael Stahnke"

Default Orphan Packages

I no longer use, nor really have interest in the following packages.
They are free for the taking.

python-libgmail
python-libgmail-docs
fuse-gmailfs

stahnma

Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Leonid Podolny

Hi,
I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
find any such discussions.
Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
list of those packages.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Justin

Leonid Podolny schrieb:
> Hi,
> I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
> find any such discussions.
> Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
> packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
> have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
> belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
> list of those packages.

You can use eix for that. I don't know the exact syntax but it works.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Dale

Leonid Podolny wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
> find any such discussions.
> Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
> packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
> have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
> belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
> list of those packages.

emerge --depclean -p and make sure everything looks OK. If it does,
remove the -p option. OK means it is not removing something you need.
If it mentions removing some version of python, make sure you have ran
python-updater. There may be others so look carefully.

Also, I run revdep-rebuild -i afterwards just to make sure.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Dale wrote:

Leonid Podolny wrote:

Hi,
I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
find any such discussions.
Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
list of those packages.

emerge --depclean -p and make sure everything looks OK.

That's not what it does :P depclean only removes packages that are not
in world and are not a dependency of another package. You can emerge
package foo from overlay bar and then remove the overlay, but depclean
won't clean it because it's still in world.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Dale

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Leonid Podolny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
>>> find any such discussions.
>>> Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
>>> packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
>>> have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
>>> belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to
>>> get a
>>> list of those packages.
>>
>> emerge --depclean -p and make sure everything looks OK.
>
> That's not what it does :P depclean only removes packages that are
> not in world and are not a dependency of another package. You can
> emerge package foo from overlay bar and then remove the overlay, but
> depclean won't clean it because it's still in world.

I missed the overlay part. I thought he was talking about removing
dependencies of a removed package that nothing else needed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Leonid Podolny

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Leonid Podolny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm sure that this issue has already been discussed here, but I can't
>>> find any such discussions.
>>> Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
>>> packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
>>> have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
>>> belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
>>> list of those packages.
>>
>> emerge --depclean -p and make sure everything looks OK.
>
> That's not what it does :P depclean only removes packages that are not
> in world and are not a dependency of another package. You can emerge
> package foo from overlay bar and then remove the overlay, but depclean
> won't clean it because it's still in world.

Exactly
Thanks for the pointer to eix, its man page says that
"eix-test-obsolete" does exactly that.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:17:16 +0200, Leonid Podolny wrote:

> Anyway, is there an easy way to find orphan packages, i.e. installed
> packages that don't have repository behind? For example, if I used to
> have a layman overlay and now I deleted it, all the packages that
> belonged to that overlay are now orphans. I would like at least to get a
> list of those packages.

grep <overlayname> /var/db/pkg/*/*/repository

--
Neil Bothwick

A woman walked into a bar and asked the barman for a large double
entendre, so he gave her one.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 AM
William Díaz

I changed of distribution, please adopt the packages.

amsn-extras-svn <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=5308>
archdark-gdm-theme <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24643>
broadcom-wl <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19514>
cnijfilter-common-old <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22868>