Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Francis Earl

Default SWFdec vs Gnash (also gcjwebplugin)

Are there any technical reasons as to why Fedora seems to prefer SWFdec
over Gnash?

I understand that to be part of the Gnome Developer Platform, your
project must be LGPL, which Gnash is not, but Gnash actually works today
for the more popular use cases (YouTube and friends) and seems to be
implemented in a far better way (OpenGL etc) ...

Also, wrt to gcjwebplugin, is there any way to make games like
games.yahoo.com/pl work? I am sort of addicted to that game, but I'd
rather not install the proprietary plugin.

Thank you for any assistance, or feedback

Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:37:16PM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> Are there any technical reasons as to why Fedora seems to prefer SWFdec
> over Gnash?
>
> I understand that to be part of the Gnome Developer Platform, your
> project must be LGPL, which Gnash is not, but Gnash actually works today
> for the more popular use cases (YouTube and friends) and seems to be
> implemented in a far better way (OpenGL etc) ...

In fact, gnash in fedora uses agg as a backend and not openGL (swfdec
uses cairo).

In most cases, gnash and swfdec work for the same flash files, since they
support similar flash versions ranges.

--
Pat

Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

swfdec depends on less gnome-libs, and at least for me it works much
better than gnash. It also has very nice "click to enable" feature

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 01:49:17AM +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> swfdec depends on less gnome-libs, and at least for me it works much
> better than gnash. It also has very nice "click to enable" feature

The "click to enable" will be in next gnash release. I doubt swfdec
depends on less gnome libs (since both gnash and swfdec should only
depend on gtk libs, and not on gnome libs). gnash depends on boost and
agg, though.

--
Pat

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Francis Earl

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 01:49 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> swfdec depends on less gnome-libs, and at least for me it works much
> better than gnash. It also has very nice "click to enable" feature

How did you get it to even work? For me, with gstreamer -good -bad -ugly
and -ffmpeg, doesn't work at all. With the same setup, gnash at least
works in some cases (youtube for instance).

I'd rather just use Adblock/NoScripts to block such content on sites I
don't want to display. This way, it also collapses the given flash
object.

Further, swfdec-mozilla depends swfdec-gtk, whereas I don't see any
Gnome related deps for gnash...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Brian Pepple

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:21 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:

> Further, swfdec-mozilla depends swfdec-gtk, whereas I don't see any
> Gnome related deps for gnash...

Ummm, swfdec-gtk doesn't depend on any gnome libs.

/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Francis Earl

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 20:40 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:21 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> >
> > Further, swfdec-mozilla depends swfdec-gtk, whereas I don't see any
> > Gnome related deps for gnash...
>
> Ummm, swfdec-gtk doesn't depend on any gnome libs.

I didn't say it did... I simply inferred that swfdec depended on things
closer to gnome than gnash did...

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Francis Earl wrote:

Further, swfdec-mozilla depends swfdec-gtk, whereas I don't see any
Gnome related deps for gnash...

Ummm, swfdec-gtk doesn't depend on any gnome libs.

I didn't say it did... I simply inferred that swfdec depended on things
closer to gnome than gnash did...

Likely since swfdec is developed by someone is also a GNOME developer
but the GNOME dependencies have always been separated and there is no
reason others couldn't develop alternative frontends too if necessary.

Rahul

Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Bill Nottingham

Francis Earl (francis.earl@gmail.com) said:
> Are there any technical reasons as to why Fedora seems to prefer SWFdec
> over Gnash?

It works better would be the short answer. Having run both of
them through a test suite (available at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestResults/Fedora9Swfdec/Rawhide),
swfdec performed *much* better, not the least because it supports
a larger subset of Flash 9.

Bill

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Patrice Dumas

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:21:49PM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:

> How did you get it to even work? For me, with gstreamer -good -bad -ugly
> and -ffmpeg, doesn't work at all. With the same setup, gnash at least
> works in some cases (youtube for instance).

That's strange, swfedec and gnash should need the same gstreamer setup.

> Further, swfdec-mozilla depends swfdec-gtk, whereas I don't see any
> Gnome related deps for gnash...

Once again there are the same dependencies on gtk. And in fact the gnash
executable shipped in fedora in the gnash package is even called gtk-gnash.

As a side note, gnash has potentially a better kde integration, though
it is broken currently because of the switch to kde4. swfdec has a
thumbnailer support for gnome.

--
Pat