Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Pekka Savola

Default F8->F9 yum upgrade notes: bluecurve lost etc.

Hi,

I did a yum upgrade (F8->F9) which had some hiccups but nothing major.
The first was that because F8 had updated cups and cups-libs after F9
was frozen, the upgrade could not succeed without tweaking until the
F9 updates tree had been populated on mirrors. While this is easily
solvable in online yum upgrades, this seems a more difficult problem
to tackle if you'd try to upgrade offline using just the DVD.

After the upgrade, there were some warts but no major problems. A
couple notes:

- The Bluecurve theme appears to have disappeared in a strange way.
When you log in using an old user that had used bluecurve, all windows
lacked the header (w/ the buttons) on top. Changing to 'Default' with
Settings - Window Manager Settings fixed this, and when I next looked
at the settings, bluecurve had already disppeared from selection.
Some other user might not have realized what has gone wrong.
Shouldn't there be an automatic transition path out if bluecurve no
longer works?

- At one time, the keyboard responsiveness in X windows disappeared.
Each keystroke produced a beep. When you switched to console with
CTRL-ALT-F1, you would get constant beeping but the keyboard would
work until you switched back. Mouse worked fine; both are USB. I'll
see if this problem appears again.

- I noticed these "We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit
refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again." -messages (and
other similar ones), but these appear to have originated prior to the
upgrade. I wonder why these aren't in the defaults?

- I noticed lots of 'too many timeouts resolving
'D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA' (in '.'?): disabling EDNS' messages from
named, but these also had started prior to the upgrade. I have no DNS
munging on the path; these errors appear to coincide with the times
when the ADSL line has been down. It would appear that the EDNS
disabling code is not very reliable -- non-EDNS queries also time out
when this happens.

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."