-   -   Did preupgrade make it in? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/87165-did-preupgrade-make.html)

Brian Wheeler 05-13-2008 05:51 PM

Did preupgrade make it in?

Well, it worked for a while... It got to "Downloading installer
metadata" and then hung. The python backtrace looks like this:

No package matched to remove
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 198, in on_assistant_apply
self._do_main()
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 206, in _do_main
self.main_preupgrade()
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 349, in main_preupgrade
self.pu.retrieve_treeinfo()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line 390, in retrieve_treeinfo
raise PUError, "Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo"
preupgrade.PUError: Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo

This happened on two machines using preupgrade-0.9.3-2.fc8 looks like I
got bit by bug 446244.

Brian

Will Woods 05-13-2008 05:55 PM

Did preupgrade make it in?

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:51 -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> Well, it worked for a while... It got to "Downloading installer
> metadata" and then hung. The python backtrace looks like this:
>
> No package matched to remove
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 198, in on_assistant_apply
> self._do_main()
> File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 206, in _do_main
> self.main_preupgrade()
> File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 349, in main_preupgrade
> self.pu.retrieve_treeinfo()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line 390, in retrieve_treeinfo
> raise PUError, "Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo"
> preupgrade.PUError: Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo
>

> This happened on two machines using preupgrade-0.9.3-2.fc8 looks like I
> got bit by bug 446244.

What the heck? What arch is this machine? Is it a xen guest or anything
weird?

Actually, I'm guessing it got a 0-byte file for treeinfo, and that's why
it failed. The mirrors are, not surprisingly, a little busy right now.

-w

Brian Wheeler 05-13-2008 05:58 PM

Did preupgrade make it in?

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:55 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:51 -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > Well, it worked for a while... It got to "Downloading installer
> > metadata" and then hung. The python backtrace looks like this:
> >
> > No package matched to remove
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 198, in on_assistant_apply
> > self._do_main()
> > File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 206, in _do_main
> > self.main_preupgrade()
> > File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 349, in main_preupgrade
> > self.pu.retrieve_treeinfo()
> > File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line 390, in retrieve_treeinfo
> > raise PUError, "Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo"
> > preupgrade.PUError: Cannot find any kernel/initrd section for this arch in treeinfo
> >

> > This happened on two machines using preupgrade-0.9.3-2.fc8 looks like I
> > got bit by bug 446244.
>
> What the heck? What arch is this machine? Is it a xen guest or anything
> weird?

Nope. It was a fresh install of F8, I believe. This also failed on an
F8 which was an F7 update.

> Actually, I'm guessing it got a 0-byte file for treeinfo, and that's why
> it failed. The mirrors are, not surprisingly, a little busy right now.

I did get "no more mirrors to try" once, but this failed differently.

There is a patch attached to the bug, but I've not tried it out yet.

Brian

"Michael Wiktowy" 05-13-2008 10:16 PM

Did preupgrade make it in?

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@indiana.edu> wrote:
> I did get "no more mirrors to try" once, but this failed differently.
> There is a patch attached to the bug, but I've not tried it out yet.

Link to the latest one for those looking:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/pending/preupgrade-0.9.3-3.fc8

I am going to give it a go ... wish me luck.
I'm guessing my Livna stuff will blow up horribly.

/Mike

"Michael Wiktowy" 05-13-2008 10:26 PM

Did preupgrade make it in?

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Michael Wiktowy
<michael.wiktowy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@indiana.edu> wrote:
> > I did get "no more mirrors to try" once, but this failed differently.
> > There is a patch attached to the bug, but I've not tried it out yet.
>
> Link to the latest one for those looking:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/pending/preupgrade-0.9.3-3.fc8
>
> I am going to give it a go ... wish me luck.
> I'm guessing my Livna stuff will blow up horribly.

One bit of feedback while things download:

The tip at the bottom mentions "If you need to cancel right now, your
downloads will pick up from where they left off the next time you run
this assistant."

Which is great ... except that the Cancel button is greyed out.

/Mike