Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
"Ray Strode"

Default rhgb no more

Hi guys,

One thing you will soon notice in F10 rawhide is that rhgb is no
longer around. We've blocked it and plan on replacing it for F10.

This is a continuation of our "BetterStartup" feature from a few
Fedoras ago (I would post a link but the wiki seems to be down). The
replacement for rhgb will be a mixture of two things:

1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
progress before asking for login. This is somewhat in line with the
early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
fedora releases ago.

2) Hiding boot messages before gdm unless escape key is pressed. For
graphics hardware that has drm modesetting, we'll be able to show some
sort of pretty graphics, and for everyone else we'll show a very
simple text mode progress.

Just a heads up,
Ray

Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Ray Strode wrote:

Hi guys,

One thing you will soon notice in F10 rawhide is that rhgb is no
longer around. We've blocked it and plan on replacing it for F10.

This is a continuation of our "BetterStartup" feature from a few
Fedoras ago (I would post a link but the wiki seems to be down)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup

Rahul

Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Casey Dahlin

Ray Strode wrote:

[...]

This summer I'll be dedicated fulltime to Upstart. I wouldn't mind
contributing quite a bit to the new graphical boot as part of this.

I have some rough ideas on how we might visualize the upstart boot
process, rather than just displaying a progress bar or little ping-ponger.

--CJD

Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Kevin Kofler

Ray Strode <halfline <at> gmail.com> writes:
> 1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
> progress before asking for login. This is somewhat in line with the
> early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
> fedora releases ago.

Unfortunately, starting up GDM early and adding progress report there isn't
going to help even a little bit for us KDM users. :-(

Kevin Kofler

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Ray Strode <halfline <at> gmail.com> writes:

1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
progress before asking for login. This is somewhat in line with the
early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
fedora releases ago.

Unfortunately, starting up GDM early and adding progress report there isn't
going to help even a little bit for us KDM users. :-(

If you want to do the same thing with KDM for the KDE spin, just go
ahead and do that. I see nothing to complain about.

Rahul

Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Casey Dahlin

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Ray Strode <halfline <at> gmail.com> writes:

1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
progress before asking for login. This is somewhat in line with the
early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
fedora releases ago.

Unfortunately, starting up GDM early and adding progress report there isn't
going to help even a little bit for us KDM users. :-(

Kevin Kofler

Not sure we're still planning on architecting it that way. GDM has
enough on its mind with the fresh rewrite.

--CJD

Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

I hope you'll leave a gap to allow classic scheme with separate
bootsplash and login manager. For E17 i could hook up
excuisite+entrance easily

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Mike Cronenworth