Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 AM

Default question about GRUB and Ext4dev

Hi,

I installed F9 on an ext4 partition (/ and /home) - GRUB does not
start properly, it stops after printing "GRUB" on the screen. Does F9
GRUB support such configuration?

Regards,
Michal

Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
"David Nielsen"

2008/5/13 M <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:

Hi,

I installed F9 on an ext4 partition (/ and /home) - GRUB does not

start properly, it stops after printing "GRUB" on the screen. Does F9

GRUB support such configuration?

Regards,

Michal

Grub doesn't support ext4, you need to have a seperate /boot that is in a supported format such as ext3. Our friends in the openSUSE camp have a Google Summer of Code student working on this:

*
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/suse/appinfo.html?csaid=91DC4C762E7EE6D7

- David

Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM

2008/5/13 David Nielsen <gnomeuser@gmail.com>:

> 2008/5/13 M <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed F9 on an ext4 partition (/ and /home) - GRUB does not
> > start properly, it stops after printing "GRUB" on the screen. Does F9
> > GRUB support such configuration?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michal
> >

> Grub doesn't support ext4, you need to have a seperate /boot

Ok, thanks for the information.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Eric Sandeen

M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed F9 on an ext4 partition (/ and /home) - GRUB does not
> start properly, it stops after printing "GRUB" on the screen. Does F9
> GRUB support such configuration?
>
> Regards,
> Michal

Grub won't work on an ext4dev filesystem, and I thought anaconda would
prevent you from putting /boot on ext4. It didn't?

You'll need to make /boot ext2 or ext3.

-Eric