FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Chris Adams
 
Default Changing things in long-closed bugs?

I've received several emails from bugzilla now about the severity,
product, etc. being changed on bugs I'm the reporter or a CC on. These
are bugs that have been closed for a while (1-2 years or more). Does
this (a) really need to be changed and (b) really need to send email?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Changing things in long-closed bugs?

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 13:48 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I've received several emails from bugzilla now about the severity,
> product, etc. being changed on bugs I'm the reporter or a CC on. These
> are bugs that have been closed for a while (1-2 years or more). Does
> this (a) really need to be changed and (b) really need to send email?

Here is what happened.

The Triage folks are closing out old trackers, for say Fedora Core
4/5/etc... These trackers are done, not used anymore, and should be
closed. However in bugzilla code, whenever you modify a tracker bug (IE
a bug that depends on other bugs) it will send mail to the people
attached to every bug it depends upon. Add to that some staged changes
that are in place for Bugzilla so that the next time some bugs are poked
it'll do the conversions of priorities and products, you wind up
triggering that for a number of older bugs.

Yes this is bothersome, and yes it's some spam. But it's somewhat
unavoidable due to how we use bugzilla and just the built up cruft of
unclosed trackers and constantly being a bit schizophrenic about
priorities, severity, and the name of Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core/Fedora.

This will only get "better" in the future as we manage our tracker bugs
better and hopefully don't go about renaming the product again.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Changing things in long-closed bugs?

Jesse Keating wrote:



This will only get "better" in the future as we manage our tracker bugs
better and hopefully don't go about renaming the product again.


Bugzilla upstream seem to be advocating using flags instead of tracker
bugs these days. I don't whether that is going to solve this problem in
any way but it is worth considering.


Rahul

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Changing things in long-closed bugs?

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 00:30 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> Bugzilla upstream seem to be advocating using flags instead of tracker
> bugs these days. I don't whether that is going to solve this problem in
> any way but it is worth considering.

We do use flags in some places, but I'm not convinced that flags are a
more user friendly way of doing trackers. Querying flags becomes
non-obvious, especially when clicking on a list of dependant bugs is
dead easy.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org