Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 AM
"Jon Stanley"

Default Call for savior - ikvm

There's a package that failed the mass rebuild for GCC 4.3 due to the
fact that it's shipping binary blobs, in violation of the packaging
guidelines. The package will not build with the binary blobs removed,
therefore it will need to be blocked if the situation cannot be
quickly remedied. There is an active upstream and our package is out
of date, however, the current upstream tarball also contains binary
blobs, however. it's not clear to me not being a mono developer
whether those are required or not - there's a lot more in the upstream
tarball than ours.

It also seems, but is not clear to me again, that the current upstream
tarball is in violation of
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Mono#head-6635c736011474fcbbc900285de0d9b0977cde1b
as well.

Any takers?

--
Jon Stanley
Fedora Bug Wrangler

Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Hi,

> It also seems, but is not clear to me again, that the current
> upstream tarball is in violation of

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Mono#head-6635c736011474fcbbc900285de0d9b0977cde1b
> as well.

I've tried, on many occassions to get ikvm to build using gcj et al, but it
always fails. I have some time today and will try again. If it works, I'll get
it into rawhide ASAP.

Over the upstream violations, we've seen this happen with monodevelop and a
few other packages within the mono framework and it's not really a show
stopper as they can be usually removed.

TTFN

Paul
--
Programmer, GirlGamer
www.girlgamer.com

Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM
"David Nielsen"

2008/5/12 Paul F. Johnson <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:

Hi,

> It also seems, but is not clear to me again, that the current

> upstream tarball is in violation of

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Mono#head-6635c736011474fcbbc900285de0d9b0977cde1b

> as well.

I've tried, on many occassions to get ikvm to build using gcj et al, but it

always fails. I have some time today and will try again. If it works, I'll get

it into rawhide ASAP.

Over the upstream violations, we've seen this happen with monodevelop and a

few other packages within the mono framework and it's not really a show

stopper as they can be usually removed.
Have you filed a bug with upstream on the issue, normally they are responsive to such issues when they understand the implications.

- David

Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 08:53 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> I've tried, on many occassions to get ikvm to build using gcj et al,
> but it
> always fails. I have some time today and will try again. If it works,
> I'll get
> it into rawhide ASAP.

ikvm scares the hell out of me. I spent more than a day trying to get
any version of it to build from source, and failing.

~spot