Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 PM
"Xavier Toth"

Default macbook pro xorg.conf modeline problem

I had been using this mode line along with the vesa driver on previous versions of fedora:
****** Modeline**** "1440x900x60" 108.84 1440 1472 1880 1912 900 918 927 946
*

However with FC9 preview it no longer works and the xserver fails to start complaining "No matching modes". I've also tried using gtf to build a modeline but that doesn't work either. Anyone got a working modeline?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Stewart Adam

Well, I don't have a working *modeline* - just a lack of one. I used the
stock xorg.conf and it works fine here. What version MBP do you have?

Stewart

Old 05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Andrew Farris

Xavier Toth wrote:
I had been using this mode line along with the vesa driver

Why are you using the vesa driver?

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM
"Xavier Toth"

I had been using this mode line along with the vesa driver

Why are you using the vesa driver?

--

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net

*gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB *5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Because in the past it has worked. Which do you think I should use and can you include the xorg.conf. On other thing I might mention is that I'm running Fedora in a Parallels vm not sure if that makes a difference.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
"Xavier Toth"

Well, I don't have a working *modeline* - just a lack of one. I used the

stock xorg.conf and it works fine here. What version MBP do you have?

Stewart
it's about a year old intel* dual core not sure what video, is there a way to get hardware info in OSX?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Ruben Kerkhof

it's about a year old intel dual core not sure what video, is there
a way

to get hardware info in OSX?

Run system-profiler from Terminal, or click on "About This Mac", and
then "More Info".

Regards,

Ruben

Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Andrew Farris

Xavier Toth wrote:

I had been using this mode line along with the vesa driver

Why are you using the vesa driver?

Because in the past it has worked. Which do you think I should use and can
you include the xorg.conf. On other thing I might mention is that I'm
running Fedora in a Parallels vm not sure if that makes a difference.

I use the 'vmware' driver on my system since I'm running vmware fusion for that.
I'm not sure if there is a better choice for running on parallels or not.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Adam Jackson

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 13:06 -0500, Xavier Toth wrote:
> I had been using this mode line along with the vesa driver on previous
> versions of fedora:
> Modeline "1440x900x60" 108.84 1440 1472 1880 1912 900 918
> 927 946
>
> However with FC9 preview it no longer works and the xserver fails to
> start complaining "No matching modes". I've also tried using gtf to
> build a modeline but that doesn't work either. Anyone got a working
> modeline?

I'm almost certain you have misdiagnosed the problem. Broadly speaking,
the vesa driver ignores modelines, and always has.

The X log should at least show you what candidate modes are being
considered. It may be that we're throwing away a perfectly valid one.
Comparing the log output between F8 and F9 would probably be
informative.

- ajax

Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Gerry Reno

I don't know if this will help you but here is what is in my xorg.conf
on F9 running with nvidia on x86:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"