Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Dell Laptop

Would anyone care to take a quick look at the laptop below to see if
they think OK bargain and works fine with Fedora, esp. F9 that is coming
out? It looks like it might work just fine, but not in tune with how
good/bad suspend/resume/hibernate works on it with linux.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Dell-Inspiron-1526-Notebook-PC
%27s_220198_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3 :CG71P4118

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:

> http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Dell-Inspiron-1526-Notebook-PC
> %27s_220198_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3 :CG71P4118

Not 100% the right place to talk about this, but looking there, I
noticed that it had the "Dell Wireless" (read: Broadcom) wifi chipset.
This will likely give you no end of trouble from what I've seen (note
that I have no personal experience, just horror stories that I've
heard). If you go with something with an Intel chipset, it should
Just Work(TM).

Something along the same lines and price range from a local retailer
(that does most of their business via the Internet, actually) here in
NYC is:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4218347

This is also a good deal lighter, and you have the advantage of not
paying sales tax if you're not in New York State. I *hihgly*
recommend J&R - they're wondeful.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:33 PM
"max bianco"

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Dell-Inspiron-1526-Notebook-PC
>> %27s_220198_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3 :CG71P4118
>
> Not 100% the right place to talk about this, but looking there, I
> noticed that it had the "Dell Wireless" (read: Broadcom) wifi chipset.
> This will likely give you no end of trouble from what I've seen (note
> that I have no personal experience, just horror stories that I've
> heard). If you go with something with an Intel chipset, it should
> Just Work(TM).

Yes, Dell seems to include the broadcom chipset by default with many
of its offerings. I specifically requested the intel wireless and
haven't had any trouble out of it. Definitely go Intel wireless over
Broadcom. Just my 2 cents.

Max

Old 05-11-2008, 05:25 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

AMD-based Dells include Broadcom WiFi, which is neverending nightmare.
Intel-based Inspirons work out of box

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

Since we're on the topic, when getting laptops, I can easily identify the "specs" I need. But I am totally lost as to which brand I should be getting! I just have no idea about the quality of Dell vs HP vs Acer ... blah. I end up getting a toshiba, just because my previous one was a toshiba as well!

Is there some website/database, that provides statistical data about the reliability and/or performance of similarly spec'ed different brands of laptops? So I can have a good estimation of which brand is the current king

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Intel-based Dell Inspirons, IBMs Thinkpads (and their legacy under
Lenovo brand) and ASUS business series usually work well. AMD lappys
in most cases are packed with broadcom WiFi which causes nothing that
PITA.

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 20:36 +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Since we're on the topic, when getting laptops, I can easily identify
> the "specs" I need. But I am totally lost as to which brand I should
> be getting! I just have no idea about the quality of Dell vs HP vs
> Acer ... blah. I end up getting a toshiba, just because my previous
> one was a toshiba as well!
> Is there some website/database, that provides statistical data about
> the reliability and/or performance of similarly spec'ed different
> brands of laptops? So I can have a good estimation of which brand is
> the current king

Personally, my cheapo Acer TM 5720 (Intel-based) was a great deal short
of a couple of minor problems (Del key doesn't work with hal info for
hotkeys in place, idle brightness behavior is slightly wonky, PSTN modem
support is "lacking").

Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Matej Cepl

On Sat, 10 May 2008 13:12:12 -0400, Jon Stanley scripst:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Dell-Inspiron-1526-Notebook-PC
>> %27s_220198_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3 :CG71P4118
>
> Not 100% the right place to talk about this, but looking there, I
> noticed that it had the "Dell Wireless" (read: Broadcom) wifi chipset.
> This will likely give you no end of trouble from what I've seen (note
> that I have no personal experience, just horror stories that I've
> heard).

Actually, to make this thread at least a little bit on topic (you know,
this is fedora-devel, not fedora list), I have to continue on my line
about superheros -- to my biggest satisfaction John Linville made my
BCM4318 working in the late F8 (or was it really early F9/Rawhide; I am
not sure). I am quite sure it needs a lot more stabilization and testing
(which makes it a topic here) but I think you can try to get it. Of
course, if you prefer your notebook to be more likely to just work (and I
had my fair chance of problems with iwl3945 as well), then Intel chips are
much more supported.

Matěj

--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Matej Cepl

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:36:34 +0300, Ahmed Kamal scripst:

> Since we're on the topic, when getting laptops, I can easily identify
> the "specs" I need. But I am totally lost as to which brand I should be
> getting! I just have no idea about the quality of Dell vs HP vs Acer ...
> blah. I end up getting a toshiba, just because my previous one was a
> toshiba as well! Is there some website/database, that provides
> statistical data about the reliability and/or performance of similarly
> spec'ed different brands of laptops? So I can have a good estimation of
> which brand is the current king

I am quite happy with HP Compaq -- intel wifi and i965GM graphics (that's
actually much bigger problem than wifi).

Matěj

Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:08 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Actually, to make this thread at least a little bit on topic (you know,
> this is fedora-devel, not fedora list), I have to continue on my line
> about superheros -- to my biggest satisfaction John Linville made my
> BCM4318 working in the late F8 (or was it really early F9/Rawhide; I am
> not sure). I am quite sure it needs a lot more stabilization and testing
> (which makes it a topic here) but I think you can try to get it. Of
> course, if you prefer your notebook to be more likely to just work (and I
> had my fair chance of problems with iwl3945 as well), then Intel chips are
> much more supported.

Might have made a different choice if had known more about what was
better supported than I knew. I ended up getting a Gateway M-1625 Sat
night, and seems fine. Cept it uses Realtek for wired and wireless.
Wired works like a champ, but wireless is hit and miss. I got a built
module from atrpms.net and it works OK, but not continuous like in Vista
or a more supported one. Although I think from a bug I was shown, that
it's getting better supported and hopefully soon will be in kernel and
working fine.

I am on wireless so far as I type (not holding my breath though).