Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Gerry Reno

Default F9 and KVM

Ok, I tried creating some fresh images using virt-manager. I'm not
having much luck. I try creating a f7 and f9 vm. On both installs the
installer runs slow. Much slower than equivalent vm in vmware under
F7. Also both installs get stuck at prompt to initialize /dev/sda.
When you answer 'yes' it takes almost 10 minutes for a prompt to come
back and say it had some error and retry,ignore,cancel. I'm wondering
if the speed issue is related to this being a quad-core machine?

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:22:51AM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Ok, I tried creating some fresh images using virt-manager. I'm not having
> much luck. I try creating a f7 and f9 vm. On both installs the installer
> runs slow. Much slower than equivalent vm in vmware under F7. Also both
> installs get stuck at prompt to initialize /dev/sda. When you answer 'yes'
> it takes almost 10 minutes for a prompt to come back and say it had some
> error and retry,ignore,cancel. I'm wondering if the speed issue is
> related to this being a quad-core machine?

It's more likely down to your hardware either not supporting hardware
virtualization, or supporting it really badly. Is the kvm-intel or
kvm-amd module loaded into the kernel? Did 'dmesg' say anything when
it was loaded? What is in /proc/cpuinfo flags?

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Gerry Reno

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

Ok, I tried creating some fresh images using virt-manager. I'm not having
much luck. I try creating a f7 and f9 vm. On both installs the installer
runs slow. Much slower than equivalent vm in vmware under F7. Also both
installs get stuck at prompt to initialize /dev/sda. When you answer 'yes'
it takes almost 10 minutes for a prompt to come back and say it had some
error and retry,ignore,cancel. I'm wondering if the speed issue is
related to this being a quad-core machine?

It's more likely down to your hardware either not supporting hardware
virtualization, or supporting it really badly. Is the kvm-intel or
kvm-amd module loaded into the kernel? Did 'dmesg' say anything when
it was loaded? What is in /proc/cpuinfo flags?

Rich.

Rich,

* The hardware appears to support hardware virtualization:

# grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

flags********** : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 popcnt
lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse
3dnowprefetch osvw ibs ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

[...]

Here's what is in /proc/cpuinfo:

[root@grp-01-10-01 MX_1]# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor****** : 0

vendor_id****** : AuthenticAMD

cpu family***** : 16

model********** : 2

model name***** : AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

stepping******* : 3

cpu MHz******** : 1250.000

cache size***** : 512 KB

physical id**** : 0

siblings******* : 4

core id******** : 0

cpu cores****** : 4

fdiv_bug******* : no

hlt_bug******** : no

f00f_bug******* : no

coma_bug******* : no

fpu************ : yes

fpu_exception** : yes

cpuid level**** : 5

wp************* : yes

flags********** : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 popcnt
lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse
3dnowprefetch osvw ibs ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

bogomips******* : 2512.94

clflush size*** : 64

processor****** : 1

vendor_id****** : AuthenticAMD

cpu family***** : 16

model********** : 2

model name***** : AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

stepping******* : 3

cpu MHz******** : 1250.000

cache size***** : 512 KB

physical id**** : 0

siblings******* : 4

core id******** : 2

cpu cores****** : 4

fdiv_bug******* : no

hlt_bug******** : no

f00f_bug******* : no

coma_bug******* : no

fpu************ : yes

fpu_exception** : yes

cpuid level**** : 5

wp************* : yes

processor****** : 2

vendor_id****** : AuthenticAMD

cpu family***** : 16

model********** : 2

model name***** : AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

stepping******* : 3

cpu MHz******** : 1250.000

cache size***** : 512 KB

physical id**** : 0

siblings******* : 4

core id******** : 1

cpu cores****** : 4

fdiv_bug******* : no

hlt_bug******** : no

f00f_bug******* : no

coma_bug******* : no

fpu************ : yes

fpu_exception** : yes

cpuid level**** : 5

wp************* : yes

processor****** : 3

vendor_id****** : AuthenticAMD

cpu family***** : 16

model********** : 2

model name***** : AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

stepping******* : 3

cpu MHz******** : 1250.000

cache size***** : 512 KB

physical id**** : 0

siblings******* : 4

core id******** : 3

cpu cores****** : 4

fdiv_bug******* : no

hlt_bug******** : no

f00f_bug******* : no

coma_bug******* : no

fpu************ : yes

fpu_exception** : yes

cpuid level**** : 5

wp************* : yes

flags********** : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 popcnt
lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse
3dnowprefetch osvw ibs ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

bogomips******* : 2512.94

clflush size*** : 64

But I notice from dmesg that it reports different capability for cpus
(notice the bogomips):

CPU0: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor stepping 03

Booting processor 1/1 ip 4000

CPU 1 irqstacks, hard=c07ba000 soft=c079a000

Initializing CPU#1

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 5022.86 BogoMIPS
(lpj=2511432)

CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)

CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)

CPU 1(4) -> Core 2

Intel machine check architecture supported.

Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#1.

CPU1: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor stepping 03

Booting processor 2/2 ip 4000

CPU 2 irqstacks, hard=c07bb000 soft=c079b000

Initializing CPU#2

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 5022.84 BogoMIPS
(lpj=2511421)

CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)

CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)

CPU 2(4) -> Core 1

Intel machine check architecture supported.

Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#2.

CPU2: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor stepping 03

Booting processor 3/3 ip 4000

CPU 3 irqstacks, hard=c07bc000 soft=c079c000

Initializing CPU#3

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 5022.85 BogoMIPS
(lpj=2511426)

CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)

CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)

CPU 3(4) -> Core 3

Intel machine check architecture supported.

Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#3.

CPU3: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor stepping 03

Total of 4 processors activated (20094.44 BogoMIPS).

ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs

..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1

Brought up 4 CPUs

sizeof(vma)=84 bytes

sizeof(page)=32 bytes

sizeof(inode)=340 bytes

sizeof(dentry)=132 bytes

sizeof(ext3inode)=492 bytes

sizeof(buffer_head)=56 bytes

sizeof(skbuff)=176 bytes

sizeof(task_struct)=3728 bytes

CPU0 attaching sched-domain:

*domain 0: span 0000000f

* groups: 00000001 00000002 00000004 00000008

CPU1 attaching sched-domain:

*domain 0: span 0000000f

* groups: 00000002 00000004 00000008 00000001

CPU2 attaching sched-domain:

*domain 0: span 0000000f

* groups: 00000004 00000008 00000001 00000002

CPU3 attaching sched-domain:

*domain 0: span 0000000f

* groups: 00000008 00000001 00000002 00000004

net_namespace: 548 bytes

Booting paravirtualized kernel on bare hardware

Time: 16:44:18* Date: 05/06/08

[root@grp-01-10-01 MX_1]# modprobe -l | grep -i kvm

/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-amd.ko

/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-intel.ko

/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko

# dmesg | grep -i kvm

#

I see no messages in dmesg about any problem related to kvm.* The cpu
speed looks to be half in /proc/cpuinfo as compared with dmesg.* That's
a little strange.

Regards,

Gerry

Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 PM
"Mark Bidewell"

2008/5/8 Gerry Reno <greno@verizon.net>:

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

[...]

Check your BIOS.* some mainboards ship with HW virtualization disabled.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Gerry Reno

Mark Bidewell wrote:

Check your BIOS. some mainboards ship with HW virtualization disabled.

That's only on Intel boards. This is an AMD board.

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:47:38AM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> # dmesg | grep -i kvm
> #

Yeah, I was a bit confused here. KVM used to print a kernel message
when it was loaded, but I've noticed that the latest version doesn't.
Is the kvm module loaded? eg. on my Intel system:

# /sbin/lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel 30784 0
kvm 108376 1 kvm_intel

As for why it's slow ... Try a single virtual CPU to start with, since
support for SMP guests in KVM is pretty new (less than 8 months old
IIRC).

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Gerry Reno

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

Yeah, I was a bit confused here. KVM used to print a kernel message
when it was loaded, but I've noticed that the latest version doesn't.
Is the kvm module loaded? eg. on my Intel system:

# /sbin/lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel 30784 0
kvm 108376 1 kvm_intel

As for why it's slow ... Try a single virtual CPU to start with, since
support for SMP guests in KVM is pretty new (less than 8 months old
IIRC).

Rich.

Here's what I found so far:

* In BIOS there is a setting "AMD Cool n Quiet".* I thought this was
some type of fan thing.* It is not.* It controls the cpu speed.* So I
disable this and now dmesg and /proc/cpuinfo both show same at 2510
MHz.* And I try creating a new F9 VM with 1 VCPU.* The install now
seems to run at a normal speed but still I cannot get F9 to install in
VM.* It says partition table on /dev/sda is unreadable and it needs to
initialize.* So I say yes and it sits there for about 10 mins until it
give you an error (i/o error on device) retry,ignore,cancel.* No choice
helps.* So I try with F7 as well and same thing, it cannot initialize
the virtual drive (mine is file-based).

Regards,

Gerry

Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Gerry Reno

Gerry Reno wrote:

Here's what I found so far:

* In BIOS there is a setting "AMD Cool n Quiet".* I thought this was
some type of fan thing.* It is not.* It controls the cpu speed.* So I
disable this and now dmesg and /proc/cpuinfo both show same at 2510
MHz.* And I try creating a new F9 VM with 1 VCPU.* The install now
seems to run at a normal speed but still I cannot get F9 to install in
VM.* It says partition table on /dev/sda is unreadable and it needs to
initialize.* So I say yes and it sits there for about 10 mins until it
give you an error (i/o error on device) retry,ignore,cancel.* No choice
helps.* So I try with F7 as well and same thing, it cannot initialize
the virtual drive (mine is file-based).

I think SELinux is causing some problems with KVM:

log:

May* 7 18:29:54 grp-01-10-01 yum: Installed: kvm-65-1.fc9.i386

May* 7 23:00:14 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./MX_1-0.vmdk (var_t). For complete
SELinux messages. run sealert -l c5d1da68-2969-4a93-843c-774a346e4705

May* 7 23:29:12 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./MX_1-0.vmdk (var_t). For complete
SELinux messages. run sealert -l c5d1da68-2969-4a93-843c-774a346e4705

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./MX_1-0.vmdk (var_t). For complete
SELinux messages. run sealert -l e1adef63-a2c9-4e8e-a834-14cc9df77259

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:20:56 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:21:06 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 3997: cpu0
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

May* 8 12:21:06 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 3997: cpu1
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

May* 8 12:21:06 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 3997: cpu2
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

May* 8 12:21:07 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 3997: cpu3
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

May* 8 12:21:08 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: emulating exchange as write

May* 8 12:26:20 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:26:20 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 12:26:20 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./TEST1.img (var_t). For complete SELinux
messages. run sealert -l 15c2312c-dd5f-44fd-b2d1-b9fb90188284

May* 8 12:26:20 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./f9-preview-i386-dvd.iso (var_t). For
complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
af4954a1-8379-403d-bc1b-ff6b1e0041df

May* 8 12:26:26 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 4075: cpu0
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

May* 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed

May* 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./TEST1.img (var_t). For complete SELinux
messages. run sealert -l 15c2312c-dd5f-44fd-b2d1-b9fb90188284

May* 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
qemu-kvm (qemu_t) "write" to ./f9-preview-i386-dvd.iso (var_t). For
complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
af4954a1-8379-403d-bc1b-ff6b1e0041df

May* 8 13:29:35 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 4353: cpu0
kvm_set_msr_common: MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop

I ran a fixfiles on all filesystems but still get the messages.

Regards,

Gerry

Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM
"Tom London"

> [...]
> May 8 12:26:26 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 4075: cpu0 kvm_set_msr_common:
> MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop
> May 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed
> May 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: guest NX capability removed
> May 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing qemu-kvm
> (qemu_t) "write" to ./TEST1.img (var_t). For complete SELinux messages. run
> sealert -l 15c2312c-dd5f-44fd-b2d1-b9fb90188284
> May 8 13:28:25 grp-01-10-01 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing qemu-kvm
> (qemu_t) "write" to ./f9-preview-i386-dvd.iso (var_t). For complete SELinux
> messages. run sealert -l af4954a1-8379-403d-bc1b-ff6b1e0041df
> May 8 13:29:35 grp-01-10-01 kernel: kvm: 4353: cpu0 kvm_set_msr_common:
> MSR_IA32_MC0_STATUS 0x0, nop
>

> I ran a fixfiles on all filesystems but still get the messages.

Try the following: "chcon -t virt_image_t ./f9-preview-i386-dvd.iso"
before running qemu-kvm.

tom
--
Tom London

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Suren Karapetyan

Tom London wrote:

[...]

And what about ./TEST1.img ?
I think THIS is the problem.

Is ./TEST1.img the file which holds hda?