FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

I tried getting one of my KVM VM's running under F9 but I'm getting this
error:


libvir: QEMU error : internal error Cannot find QEMU binary
/usr/bin/kvm: No such file or directory

error: Failed to start domain MX_1

================================================== ====
[root@grp-01-10-01 MX_1]# virsh
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type: 'help' for help with commands
'quit' to quit

virsh # list --all
Id Name State
----------------------------------
- MX_1 shut off

virsh # start MX_1
libvir: QEMU error : internal error Cannot find QEMU binary
/usr/bin/kvm: No such file or directory

error: Failed to start domain MX_1

virsh # quit

[root@grp-01-10-01 MX_1]# yum list '*kvm*'
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* updates: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
* fedora: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
Installed Packages
kvm.i386 65-1.fc9
installed
[root@grp-01-10-01 MX_1]# which kvm
/usr/bin/which: no kvm in
(/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)

================================================== ====


Is there another package that has the kvm binary?


Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Jesse Keating
 
Default F9 and KVM

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:33 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Is there another package that has the kvm binary?

Kvm package provides qemu-kvm, nothing provides /usr/bin/kvm What's
looking for it again?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:33 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:


Is there another package that has the kvm binary?



Kvm package provides qemu-kvm, nothing provides /usr/bin/kvm What's
looking for it again?



Both virt-manager and virsh error out when trying to start a KVM image.

Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Jesse Keating
 
Default F9 and KVM

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 22:02 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Both virt-manager and virsh error out when trying to start a KVM
> image.

That's... strange. I use virt-install and virt-manager all the time to
start kvm guests... What version of libvirt do you have installed and
running?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 22:02 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:


Both virt-manager and virsh error out when trying to start a KVM
image.



That's... strange. I use virt-install and virt-manager all the time to
start kvm guests... What version of libvirt do you have installed and
running?



[root@grp-01-10-01 ~]# yum list libvirt

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

** updates: www.gtlib.gatech.edu

** fedora: www.gtlib.gatech.edu

updates******************************************* ****** | 2.4 kB****
00:00***

Not using downloaded repomd.xml because it is older than what we have

fedora******************************************** ****** | 2.4 kB****
00:00***

Not using downloaded repomd.xml because it is older than what we have

Installed Packages

libvirt.i386**************************** 0.4.2-1.fc9***********
installed







Regards,

Gerry






--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

kernel looks ok:

[root@grp-01-10-01 ~]# modprobe -l | grep kvm
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-amd.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-intel.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko

Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Jesse Keating
 
Default F9 and KVM

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:33 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> I tried getting one of my KVM VM's running under F9 but I'm getting
> this
> error:
>
> libvir: QEMU error : internal error Cannot find QEMU binary
> /usr/bin/kvm: No such file or directory
> error: Failed to start domain MX_1

When/where was this vm created? I'd imagine that the xml file
describing it in /etc/libvirt/* incorrectly lists the emulator.

/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml:<domain type='kvm'>
/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml: <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>


--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:33 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:


I tried getting one of my KVM VM's running under F9 but I'm getting
this
error:


libvir: QEMU error : internal error Cannot find QEMU binary
/usr/bin/kvm: No such file or directory

error: Failed to start domain MX_1



When/where was this vm created? I'd imagine that the xml file
describing it in /etc/libvirt/* incorrectly lists the emulator.

/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml:<domain type='kvm'>
/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml: <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>




I checked and yes, the emulator lists /usr/bin/kvm:
<emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>

What should emulator be now if not kvm?


The xml was built from an original vmware vmx file using a utility that
I have, vmware2libvirt.

The string in it for emulator is:
emulator = "kvm"


Regards,
Gerry



--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

Gerry Reno wrote:

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 21:33 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:


I tried getting one of my KVM VM's running under F9 but I'm getting
this error:

libvir: QEMU error : internal error Cannot find QEMU binary
/usr/bin/kvm: No such file or directory

error: Failed to start domain MX_1



When/where was this vm created? I'd imagine that the xml file
describing it in /etc/libvirt/* incorrectly lists the emulator.

/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml:<domain type='kvm'>
/etc/libvirt/qemu/rawhide.xml: <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>




I checked and yes, the emulator lists /usr/bin/kvm:
<emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>

What should emulator be now if not kvm?

Oops, I see it: qemu-kvm.

Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Gerry Reno
 
Default F9 and KVM

Thanks Jesse, that got it running.

I gave it 4 vcpus but it is running at near 0% cpu at snail's pace so I
need to investigate what the problem is with the multi-cpus.


Regards,
Gerry

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org