Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
"Colin Walters"

Default maintainer groups

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> All packages will be owned by an alias after F9 is released.
>
> We'll have packagename-owner@fedoraproject.org setup in the mail aliases
> which will expand out to all maintainer/co-maintainers of the package.

That is useful, though I was looking for something that lets me
operate on groups of packages rather than individual ones; again so
the example is I'd like my Java packages to be owned by something like
tag-java@packages.fp.o, and anyone in that group would get CC'd on
bugs, could upload, etc. I guess this would require a tagging system
for packages.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Colin Walters wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to see more explicit support in Fedora for maintainership
"groups". For example, I would love if I could have some of my random
dependency Java packages be owned by something like
"java-maint@fedoraproject.org". We already have some existing teams
(gecko-maint, etc.)

How do the current groups work? What's the process for creating new ones?

The current implementation is that these groups are pseudo-users in the
account system. It basically buys you an email alias that you can use
for assigning bugzilla bugs to. To get one setup, ask me and I'll
create it in FAS and migrate the pkgdb ownership.

In the future we need to make these into true groups so that cvs acls
can be applied to them. However, there's a few things that make that an
invasive change:

1) have to teach the pkgdb that groups can own packages (since the
reason for the current implementation is so bz ownership can be to a
mailing list).

2) Create UI that allows people within a group to add the group as
owner/comaintainer on a package.

3) Audit pkgdb and pkgdb dependent scripts to make sure they can handle
groups as owners.

-Toshio

Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Colin Walters wrote:

All packages will be owned by an alias after F9 is released.

We'll have packagename-owner@fedoraproject.org setup in the mail aliases
which will expand out to all maintainer/co-maintainers of the package.

That is useful, though I was looking for something that lets me
operate on groups of packages rather than individual ones; again so
the example is I'd like my Java packages to be owned by something like
tag-java@packages.fp.o, and anyone in that group would get CC'd on
bugs, could upload, etc. I guess this would require a tagging system
for packages.

I think a tagging system for packages and the specific operations you
enumerate are separate. Having a tagging system would be useful as
well. Or even a query language:: please set all packages named=java-*
owned_by=user:walters to owned_by=group:java-maint

This is a bit of blue sky, though, unless someone's interested in
working on it.

-Toshio

Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le mercredi 07 mai 2008 à 11:02 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :

> That is useful, though I was looking for something that lets me
> operate on groups of packages rather than individual ones; again so
> the example is I'd like my Java packages to be owned by something like
> tag-java@packages.fp.o, and anyone in that group would get CC'd on
> bugs, could upload, etc. I guess this would require a tagging system
> for packages.

For the font SIG, we have a somewhat weaker setup where a mailing list
is CC-ed on a lot of package activity by default. That's somewhat
sufficient for interested packagers to keep in touch without needing to
collect the info all over the place themselves (still need to find out
how to CC this list on all changes in the SIG wiki place, esp. the
WishList changes)

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.fonts.bugs
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/QA/Bugs

Amazing what you can do with just a list address.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 07:07:16PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 07 mai 2008 à 11:02 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> > That is useful, though I was looking for something that lets me
> > operate on groups of packages rather than individual ones; again so
> > the example is I'd like my Java packages to be owned by something like
> > tag-java@packages.fp.o, and anyone in that group would get CC'd on
> > bugs, could upload, etc. I guess this would require a tagging system
> > for packages.
>
> For the font SIG, we have a somewhat weaker setup where a mailing list
> is CC-ed on a lot of package activity by default. That's somewhat
> sufficient for interested packagers to keep in touch without needing to
> collect the info all over the place themselves (still need to find out
> how to CC this list on all changes in the SIG wiki place, esp. the
> WishList changes)
>
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.fonts.bugs
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/QA/Bugs

That's interesting, thanks. OCaml needs the same.

FWIW Debian's OCaml group has a mailing list where all bugs for those
packages get assigned by default to the mailing list address. It
works well.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top