-   -   maintainer groups (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/83722-maintainer-groups.html)

"Colin Walters" 05-07-2008 02:02 PM

maintainer groups

Hi,

I'd like to see more explicit support in Fedora for maintainership
"groups". For example, I would love if I could have some of my random
dependency Java packages be owned by something like
"java-maint@fedoraproject.org". We already have some existing teams
(gecko-maint, etc.)

How do the current groups work? What's the process for creating new ones?

seth vidal 05-07-2008 02:10 PM

maintainer groups

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 10:02 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to see more explicit support in Fedora for maintainership
> "groups". For example, I would love if I could have some of my random
> dependency Java packages be owned by something like
> "java-maint@fedoraproject.org". We already have some existing teams
> (gecko-maint, etc.)
>
> How do the current groups work? What's the process for creating new ones?

All packages will be owned by an alias after F9 is released.

We'll have packagename-owner@fedoraproject.org setup in the mail aliases
which will expand out to all maintainer/co-maintainers of the package.

-sv

"Daniel P. Berrange" 05-07-2008 02:15 PM

maintainer groups

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:10:52AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 10:02 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to see more explicit support in Fedora for maintainership
> > "groups". For example, I would love if I could have some of my random
> > dependency Java packages be owned by something like
> > "java-maint@fedoraproject.org". We already have some existing teams
> > (gecko-maint, etc.)
> >
> > How do the current groups work? What's the process for creating new ones?
>
> All packages will be owned by an alias after F9 is released.
>
> We'll have packagename-owner@fedoraproject.org setup in the mail aliases
> which will expand out to all maintainer/co-maintainers of the package.

I hope that the BZ setup will still use explicit maintainer email addresses
and not the alias - or at least automatically add all maintainers on the
CC list for new bugs.

If you have only the alias address on the BZ and a security bug is entered,
then you as the maintainer won't have permission to see it, because BZ
doesn't know the alias maps to your account. Your email address needs to
be explicitly on the assigned / cc list to see such bugs.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|