Old 05-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Paul

Default ext3 problem - help!

Hi,

When I booted up my PC this morning, it came up with an ext3 problem. It
first made the drive ext2, repaired the drive as journal system and then
set it to be ext3.

Only problem is that the files on the drive have vanished.

Is there any way to get them back or should I consign the problem to the
big question mark in the sky, shrug my shoulders and walk...

TTFN

Paul

Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Eric Sandeen

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I booted up my PC this morning, it came up with an ext3 problem. It
> first made the drive ext2, repaired the drive as journal system and then
> set it to be ext3.
>
> Only problem is that the files on the drive have vanished.
>
> Is there any way to get them back or should I consign the problem to the
> big question mark in the sky, shrug my shoulders and walk...
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Not nearly enough info here, and probably not the right list.

I'd gather up system logs, dmesg, repair output, contents of lost+found/
etc and send a note to the ext3-users list.

Thanks,
-Eric

Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Gerry Reno

Paul wrote:

Hi,

When I booted up my PC this morning, it came up with an ext3 problem. It
first made the drive ext2, repaired the drive as journal system and then
set it to be ext3.

Only problem is that the files on the drive have vanished.

Is there any way to get them back or should I consign the problem to the
big question mark in the sky, shrug my shoulders and walk...

TTFN

Paul

unmount filesystem
run e2fsck
or
boot rescue and
run e2fsck
check log for smart messages (failing drive?)

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 16:47:02 +0100,
Paul <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Only problem is that the files on the drive have vanished.
>
> Is there any way to get them back or should I consign the problem to the
> big question mark in the sky, shrug my shoulders and walk...

You might take a look at the etx3grep project. I don't know if it can
get back files under these circumstances, but its probably the best ext3
recovery program available.