Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Zdenek Prikryl

Default New system-config-acpid

Hello,
the new system config tool was born. This time it is the tool which tries to
make a configuration of acpid easier. So, by this tool you can catch acpi events
or acpi hotkeys events and then you can assign actions to them.

If you find a bug, please send a description of the bug or a patch directly to me.

Enjoy :-)

tarball
-------
http://fedorapeople.org/~zprikryl/system-config-acpid-0.1.1.tar.bz2

src.rpm
-------
http://fedorapeople.org/~zprikryl/system-config-acpid-0.1.1-1.fc9.src.rpm

--
Zdenek Prikryl <zprikryl@redhat.com>

Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Bill Nottingham

Zdenek Prikryl (zprikryl@redhat.com) said:
> Hello,
> the new system config tool was born. This time it is the tool which tries to
> make a configuration of acpid easier. So, by this tool you can catch acpi events
> or acpi hotkeys events and then you can assign actions to them.

Not to be a killjoy, but why a config tool for a program which should
probably die? Aren't these all better handled by user-specific policy
agents such as gnome-power-manager or kpowersave?

Bill

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

To make laptop custom buttons work in gdm/kdm?

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 18:46 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> To make laptop custom buttons work in gdm/kdm?

gdm at least runs session agents like gnome-power-manager so that you
can get events like this.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Tue, 06.05.08 17:39, Zdenek Prikryl (zprikryl@redhat.com) wrote:

> Hello,
> the new system config tool was born. This time it is the tool which tries to
> make a configuration of acpid easier. So, by this tool you can catch acpi events
> or acpi hotkeys events and then you can assign actions to them.

Uh? Actually the plan is to pass all ACPI key events through the Linux
input system, like any other keypresses, so that they can handled like
any other keypresses. If you look closely at /proc/bus/input/devices
you'll notice that this actually is alredy case.

I am sorry, but what you are suggesting is, uh, kind of out-of-date.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Zdenek Prikryl

Bill Nottingham napsal(a):
> Not to be a killjoy, but why a config tool for a program which should
> probably die? Aren't these all better handled by user-specific policy
> agents such as gnome-power-manager or kpowersave?

Simple reason :-)... if you don't use gnome or kde or this applets, the simplest
way how to get things work is configure this daemon.

On the other hand I agree, that better way is catch this events via HAL and then
send it to d-bus. But in this case, again, you have to have this applets. AFAIK
there is no "acpid" for dbus which you can configure for any acpi events (like
Fn5 which should enable bluetooth).

--
Zdenek Prikryl <zprikryl@redhat.com>

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Bastien Nocera

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 09:29 +0200, Zdenek Prikryl wrote:
> Bill Nottingham napsal(a):
> > Not to be a killjoy, but why a config tool for a program which should
> > probably die? Aren't these all better handled by user-specific policy
> > agents such as gnome-power-manager or kpowersave?
>
> Simple reason :-)... if you don't use gnome or kde or this applets, the simplest
> way how to get things work is configure this daemon.

Not really. With HAL running, it should push the ACPI key events through
D-Bus. There's no need for a system-config-acpid or even using acpid.

> On the other hand I agree, that better way is catch this events via HAL and then
> send it to d-bus. But in this case, again, you have to have this applets. AFAIK
> there is no "acpid" for dbus which you can configure for any acpi events (like
> Fn5 which should enable bluetooth).

With the right keymap, all those events already trickle to X, so there
shouldn't ever be a need for acpid or a system-config-acpid, as there's
already enough hot-key handlers in X (such as the ones builtin to GNOME
and KDE).

Do we still install acpid by default?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Richard Hughes

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 18:44 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Uh? Actually the plan is to pass all ACPI key events through the Linux
> input system, like any other keypresses, so that they can handled like
> any other keypresses. If you look closely at /proc/bus/input/devices
> you'll notice that this actually is alredy case.
>
> I am sorry, but what you are suggesting is, uh, kind of out-of-date.

Agreed. I've been working hard on getting kernel drivers to push up key
presses up through INPUT, rather than using ACPI or other insane files
to report this to userspace.

acpid has no role in a modern desktop; you shouldn't need to configure
anything - it should just work. I really don't see the need for such a
tool.

Richard.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Zdenek Prikryl

Bastien Nocera napsal(a):
>> Simple reason :-)... if you don't use gnome or kde or this applets, the
>> simplest way how to get things work is configure this daemon.
>
> Not really. With HAL running, it should push the ACPI key events through
> D-Bus. There's no need for a system-config-acpid or even using acpid.

That is true, but you have to have an application or a daemon which would be
listening on d-bus, don't you?

>> On the other hand I agree, that better way is catch this events via HAL and then
>> send it to d-bus. But in this case, again, you have to have this applets. AFAIK
>> there is no "acpid" for dbus which you can configure for any acpi events (like
>> Fn5 which should enable bluetooth).
>
> With the right keymap, all those events already trickle to X, so there
> shouldn't ever be a need for acpid or a system-config-acpid, as there's
> already enough hot-key handlers in X (such as the ones builtin to GNOME
> and KDE).

That is it "builtin to GNOME and KDE"... but there are a lot of users who don't
use gnome or kde and it this case, as a user, you have two option a) try to
install {gnome, kde}-applets b) configure it via other daemon like acpid (it
could be other daemon or an application, but it has to be independent on a
desktop environment). The question is, what is better, force users to use
{gnome, kde}-applets or give then a choice to configure an action on an acpi
events or hotkeys.

> Do we still install acpid by default?

These days, if you use gnome or kde I think that it is not necessary to install
acpid. If you have another desktop environment, then you need a choice to get
acpi thinks work.

--
Zdenek Prikryl <zprikryl@redhat.com>

Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Zdenek Prikryl

Lennart Poettering napsal(a):
> Uh? Actually the plan is to pass all ACPI key events through the Linux
> input system, like any other keypresses, so that they can handled like
> any other keypresses. If you look closely at /proc/bus/input/devices
> you'll notice that this actually is alredy case.
>
> I am sorry, but what you are suggesting is, uh, kind of out-of-date.

I don't suggest that everyone has to use acpid and s-c-a, I just tried to make a
configuration of this daemon easier for users, who are using this daemon because
they want to or they have to.

--
Zdenek Prikryl <zprikryl@redhat.com>