Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Flash on rawhide

> Mike Chambers (mike@miketc.com) said:
> > Installed rawhide this morning (err, very late last night and configured
> > it this morning), and it seems flash OR pulseaudio isn't working. I can
> > hear normal system sounds just fine. But if I go to a flash site, such
> > as http://espn.go.com and play the sportscenter video, it plays fine but
> > can't hear anything.
> >
> > While that is going on, I called up the Menu/Sound & Video/PulseAudio
> > Volume Control menu and it shows no streaming. But you keep seeing a
> > flashed menu that keeps coming up, but it seems transparent? Probably
> > doesn't sound right but if someone would try it, maybe they will see the
> > same thing.
> >
> > I will say before I did the install, that it had been working fine on a
> > So if there is something not installed that needs to be, I cant' think
> > of what it is. The flash-plugin came straight from adobe via yum.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> You probably need libflashsupport.i386.

That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by
default by chance? Otherwise, think adobe needs to require that package
I would think?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Will Woods

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:29 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:22 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >
> > You probably need libflashsupport.i386.
>
> That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by
> default by chance? Otherwise, think adobe needs to require that package
> I would think?

You'd think that, but they refuse. And you can't currently require an
i386 package on an x86_64 system. It's a bit of a pickle.

-w

Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:54 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:29 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:22 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >
> > > You probably need libflashsupport.i386.
> >
> > That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by
> > default by chance? Otherwise, think adobe needs to require that package
> > I would think?
>
> You'd think that, but they refuse. And you can't currently require an
> i386 package on an x86_64 system. It's a bit of a pickle.

You would be correct I guess. Hrm, wonder if release notes should have
info on that or worth it?

Anywho, probably won't forget to install that again since I had the
problem.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
"Alan"

> Installed rawhide this morning (err, very late last night and configured
> it this morning), and it seems flash OR pulseaudio isn't working. I can
> hear normal system sounds just fine. But if I go to a flash site, such
> as http://espn.go.com and play the sportscenter video, it plays fine but
> can't hear anything.
>
> While that is going on, I called up the Menu/Sound & Video/PulseAudio
> Volume Control menu and it shows no streaming. But you keep seeing a
> flashed menu that keeps coming up, but it seems transparent? Probably
> doesn't sound right but if someone would try it, maybe they will see the
> same thing.
>
> I will say before I did the install, that it had been working fine on a
> So if there is something not installed that needs to be, I cant' think
> of what it is. The flash-plugin came straight from adobe via yum.
>
> Any ideas?

Check your volume control. Flash uses PCM. Check if that is muted.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 10:29:42AM -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > > Any ideas?
> > You probably need libflashsupport.i386.
> That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by

So, didn't work for me. I had both the x86_64 and i386 versions installed;
no sound. I removed them both, and the flash plugin itself, and reinstalled
just the flash plugin and libflashsupport.i386, and still no sound. Hmmm.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 PM
David Boles

Matthew Miller wrote:

That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by

So, didn't work for me. I had both the x86_64 and i386 versions installed;
no sound. I removed them both, and the flash plugin itself, and reinstalled
just the flash plugin and libflashsupport.i386, and still no sound. Hmmm.

Probably OT for this list but:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Desktop.html#sn-KDE-Desktop

Read the section titled: 10.3.1. Enabling Flash Plugin

--

David

Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Matthew Miller

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 03:56:50PM -0400, David Boles wrote:
>> So, didn't work for me. I had both the x86_64 and i386 versions installed;
>> no sound. I removed them both, and the flash plugin itself, and reinstalled
>> just the flash plugin and libflashsupport.i386, and still no sound. Hmmm.
> Probably OT for this list but:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Desktop.html#sn-KDE-Desktop
> Read the section titled: 10.3.1. Enabling Flash Plugin

Thanks, but, yeah, I'd done all that.

I've got another x86_64 rawhide machine where it all works fine -- I'm not
really sure what the difference is or really where to begin looking.

Oh, and also: after I did the above remove-and-reinstall, youtube movies
seem to play at about 10x speed (still with no sound). Even after I also
re-added 64-bit libflashsupport out of superstition.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Matthew Miller

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:23:48PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I've got another x86_64 rawhide machine where it all works fine -- I'm not
> really sure what the difference is or really where to begin looking.
>
> Oh, and also: after I did the above remove-and-reinstall, youtube movies
> seem to play at about 10x speed (still with no sound). Even after I also
> re-added 64-bit libflashsupport out of superstition.

I thought I'd figured it out when I found that swfdec-mozilla had gotten
installed too, but no, removing that didn't fix anything.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Matej Cepl

On Thu, 08 May 2008 11:06:50 -0400, Matthew Miller scripst:

>> > You probably need libflashsupport.i386.
>> That did the trick, thanks notting. Hrm, should that be installed by
>
> So, didn't work for me. I had both the x86_64 and i386 versions
> installed; no sound. I removed them both, and the flash plugin itself,
> and reinstalled just the flash plugin and libflashsupport.i386, and
> still no sound. Hmmm.

So, you have installed something like this?

[matej@hubmaier ~]$ rpm -qa firefox* nsplugin* *flash* | sort
firefox-debuginfo-3.0-0.60.beta5.fc9.x86_64
firefox-3.0-0.60.beta5.fc9.x86_64
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.i386
libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.x86_64
nspluginwrapper-debuginfo-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.i386
nspluginwrapper-debuginfo-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.x86_64
nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.i386
nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.x86_64
[matej@hubmaier ~]$

no swfdec-mozilla, you have restarted firefox and you cannot play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0&feature=related
?

Matěj
--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:27:30PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> So, you have installed something like this?
>
> [matej@hubmaier ~]$ rpm -qa firefox* nsplugin* *flash* | sort
> firefox-debuginfo-3.0-0.60.beta5.fc9.x86_64
> firefox-3.0-0.60.beta5.fc9.x86_64
> flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
> libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.i386
> libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.x86_64
> nspluginwrapper-debuginfo-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.i386
> nspluginwrapper-debuginfo-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.x86_64
> nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.i386
> nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-28.fc9.x86_64
> [matej@hubmaier ~]$

Right, sans the debuginfo package.

> no swfdec-mozilla, you have restarted firefox and you cannot play
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0&feature=related

It would play, just at hyperspeed. Solution was to *remove* the i386
libflashsupport. That is, I now have:

$ rpm -qa firefox* nsplugin* *flash* | sort
firefox-3.0-0.60.beta5.fc9.x86_64
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.x86_64
nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-27.fc9.i386
nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-27.fc9.x86_64

and everything plays as normal.

On my other test machine (F9, not rawhide), though, I had that, got no
sound, and added the i386 libflashsupport and now it works fine. *shrug*