Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Maintainer Responsibility Policy

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:07 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure that's strong enough. It should clearly state that the
> package maintainer is responsible for getting bugs fixed -- if the
> package maintainer isn't a coder, then they need to take a more
> managerial röle; working with upstream or with code-monkeys within
> Fedora to get things fixed. How about this:

Do we need to make an effort to catalog skillsets in the contributor
base? to make it easier to help maintainers find a particular sort of
code-monkey? For example I know you are one of the people I can come
to with ppc oddness that I can't fix myself, but I'd have no idea how
to turn to for say ruby-ness.

But generally speaking would it be worthwhile if 'we' made it easier
for maintainers to find other contributors who could help with
specific bugs based on skillset needed?

-jef"And yes i realize we can't really call people code-monkeys"spaleta

Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
David Woodhouse

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:07 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> > I'm not sure that's strong enough. It should clearly state that the
> > package maintainer is responsible for getting bugs fixed -- if the
> > package maintainer isn't a coder, then they need to take a more
> > managerial röle; working with upstream or with code-monkeys within
> > Fedora to get things fixed. How about this:
>
> Do we need to make an effort to catalog skillsets in the contributor
> base? to make it easier to help maintainers find a particular sort of
> code-monkey?

Yes, perhaps. Or maybe it would be better to have a code-monkey sign up
as co-maintainer for the package, where the primary maintainer isn't
capable of actually..., well, maintaining the package.

--
dwmw2

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:55 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> Yes, perhaps. Or maybe it would be better to have a code-monkey sign up
> as co-maintainer for the package, where the primary maintainer isn't
> capable of actually..., well, maintaining the package.

Generally, I would agree that the maintainer needs to be able to
diagnose breakage in the dominant language of the package in question.
Hence why I don't touch mono or java packages. But, there are times
when an application might provide mixed language or toolkit bindings
which are harder to adequately account for based on accumulated
personal experience. And we certainly can't expect everyone to have
direct experience nor access to both big and little endian arches.

And well, it'd be sort of nice to know how our contributor skillset
breaks down, from a project resources point of view.

-jef"Though in just a couple more years, we could probably expect
everyone to have access to some sort of 64bit arch"spaleta

Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 21:25 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 21:01 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > > * List of packages which are affected by the change.
> > > Generally, this is merely the list of packages which
> > > depend directly on the package which is being updated,
> > > and can be found with "repoquery --whatrequires
> > > package" where "package" is the package being updated.
> >
> > Shouldn't there be an --all there, as well as looking at what packages
> > BuildRequire yours?
>
> Yeah, I think your right.

I believe Jesse meant --alldeps. --all in this context does not make much
sense to me, but --alldeps does very much. I already went ahead and changed
this in Wiki.

The bit about checking what packages BuildRequire the updated package from
Jesse's suggestion above seems to be missing still, was that intentionally
omitted?