Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default python packaging - icons/desktop files and /usr/bin accessibility

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

Note that if you want the libraries to be available to Python, as far
as I understand it, the standard way to do this is to a "*.pth" file
and put it into site-packages. For example, for my package (which puts
files into an "Ice" subdirectory), I created a file called ice.pth
containing only the following:
Ice
For yours, you probably want to create "myapp.pth" containing the line
"myapp" and install that into site-packages.

This doesn't answer the question of how to run the programs, though, of course.

I took a closer look at Ice and I think there's a few things that should
change.

1) AFAICS there's no reason for the python bindings to be part of the
Ice package. It comes in a separate tarball and appears to build on its
own. I can't find a mention of this in the review so I don't know if
there's something special about it that I'm missing. [1]_

2) The .pth file looks like it's being used to compensate for bad
imports and upstream packaging.
* There should be an __init__.py file in
%{_libdir}/pythonX.Y/site-packages/Ice

* The following files have imports that need to be changed:
IceBox/__init__.py
Glacier2/__init__.py
IceGrid/__init__.py
IceStorm/__init__.py
IcePatch2/__init__.py

change imports like::
import IceBox_IceBox_ice
to this::
from Ice import IceBox_IceBox_ice

3) Additionally, on x86_64, the python module is spread over two
directories: /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Ice and
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Ice. Python doesn't handle that very
well. All the files of a module should be in a single directory. Since
this module builds an ELF shared object (IcePy.so/IcePy.so.3.2.1) all
files should be installed into %{python_sitearch}/ (This is what lead
to BZ #392751).

With fixes in #2 and #3 I think the .pth file becomes unnecessary.

.. _[1]: I can do the review for python-Ice if you'd like. Just add me
to the CC list once you have it broken out into its own package.

-Toshio