Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Ralf Corsepius

Default FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:10 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 02:02:50PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > It would have forced upstreams to learn about their long-term
> > lazyness/sloppyness is going to evolve into "badness" by being
> > confronted with a "the train has left the station" effect.
>
> Packages that has not been released since long can still use old
> autotools version without that being an issue. And then it is practical
> to be able to rerun the autotools for such packages.
Off-line, yes .. no need to make them part of the distribution.

Ralf

Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:19 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Packages that has not been released since long can still use old
> > autotools version without that being an issue. And then it is practical
> > to be able to rerun the autotools for such packages.
> Off-line, yes .. no need to make them part of the distribution.

Can you clarify "part of the distribution" here? If they aren't part of
the Fedora Distribution, then Fedora suddenly can no longer be a
development platform for these projects. This is not what we want.

If however you mean not distributed with said project as part of the
tarball, then I leave that discussion to somebody else.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!