Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
"Aaron S. Hawley"

Default Bodhi documentation for new packages

[Please, Cc me replies, thanks.]

The directions for joining Fedora as a package maintainer[1] are really
great. Unfortunately, they trail off at the end when it comes to
important tasks of making the package live using the Bodhi system,
section "Request updates to released Fedoras for your new package". I
ran into this roadblock last month, and it hasn't improved since.

As a new maintainer, I know very little about the updates infrastructure
of Fedora, which I predict is assumed knowledge about using Bodhi. This
is probably unfair to new maintainers. Here's my proposal for what this
section should say. It is also what I did, so I'm sure it needs
correction, and let me know so I can get my new package (gnue-common)
live. Thanks for Fedora, /a

-- BEGIN --

The first field asks for the name of the "Package". This will feature a
name completion system, but is currently broken. It uses the tag used
in Fedora CVS and the Koji build system, e.g.
<package-name>-<version>-<release>.fc9.

For new packages, choose "enhancement" as the "type" of update.

Keep the "Request" as "testing".

There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the
"Bugs" field blank.

For new packages, add a copy of the package's description in the "Notes"
section so end users will know what it is.[2]

-- END --

1. <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join>

2. Taken from "Bodhi workflow and Q&A",
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UpdatesSystem/Bodhi-info-DRAFT>.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Luke Macken

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 03:27:01PM -0400, Aaron S. Hawley wrote:
> [Please, Cc me replies, thanks.]
>
> The directions for joining Fedora as a package maintainer[1] are really
> great. Unfortunately, they trail off at the end when it comes to important
> tasks of making the package live using the Bodhi system, section "Request
> updates to released Fedoras for your new package". I ran into this
> roadblock last month, and it hasn't improved since.
>
> As a new maintainer, I know very little about the updates infrastructure of
> Fedora, which I predict is assumed knowledge about using Bodhi. This is
> probably unfair to new maintainers. Here's my proposal for what this
> section should say. It is also what I did, so I'm sure it needs
> correction, and let me know so I can get my new package (gnue-common) live.
> Thanks for Fedora, /a

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and help improve our documentation.
I completely agree that the updates/bodhi docs need some work. Come F9,
I hope to have a lot of new bodhi features and changes to existing
workflow deployed, so I'll be tweaking the documentation a lot then.

> -- BEGIN --
>
> The first field asks for the name of the "Package". This will feature a
> name completion system, but is currently broken. It uses the tag used in
> Fedora CVS and the Koji build system, e.g.
> <package-name>-<version>-<release>.fc9.

The build completion is no longer broken. It doesn't not query by tag
(yet, at least), it simply offers all builds for the given package.

> For new packages, choose "enhancement" as the "type" of update.

Correct, for now. Spot and I discussed this yesterday and we thought it
would probably be a good idea to add another type of update specifically
for new packages. This would allow tools like PackageKit to say "Hey,
check out the newest packages in Fedora that you could possibly install!"

> Keep the "Request" as "testing".

It's probably best to leave this up to the developer pushing the update.
I originally made bodhi force packages to go through testing first, but
many people complained and had their reasons for wanting pushing directly
to stable.

> There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"
> field blank.

New packages could possibly add their Review Request bug to the update,
which will have bodhi automatically close it when it gets pushed.

> For new packages, add a copy of the package's description in the "Notes"
> section so end users will know what it is.[2]

This sounds fine.

Cheers,
luke

Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
"Aaron S. Hawley"

[Please, Cc me replies, thanks.]

Luke Macken wrote:

[...]

Luke, I had a chance to rewrite the instructions for adding new packages
with Bodhi using your response. I can throw them on the Wiki if you like.

--BEGIN--

The first field asks for the name of the "Package". This field will
auto-complete the package name found in the Koji build system, e.g.
<package-name>-<version>-<release>.fc9. If completion doesn't work,
just enter the package build name yourself.

For new packages, choose "enhancement" as the "type" of update.

Put the "Request" as "testing" if you want to put the package through
testing first, see [:QA: Fedora Quality Assurance]. Put "stable" if you
want to push the package directly to stable.

There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the
"Bugs" field blank. In the future, the bug number for the Review
Request bug might be entered here for Bodhi to automatically close when
it gets pushed to the request update status.

For new packages, add a copy of the package's description in the "Notes"
section so end users will know what the package is.

--END--

Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Luke Macken

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:24:05AM -0400, Aaron S. Hawley wrote:
> [...]
> with Bodhi using your response. I can throw them on the Wiki if you like.
>
> --BEGIN--
>
> The first field asks for the name of the "Package". This field will
> auto-complete the package name found in the Koji build system, e.g.
> <package-name>-<version>-<release>.fc9. If completion doesn't work, just
> enter the package build name yourself.
>
> For new packages, choose "enhancement" as the "type" of update.
>
> Put the "Request" as "testing" if you want to put the package through
> testing first, see [:QA: Fedora Quality Assurance]. Put "stable" if you
> want to push the package directly to stable.
>
> There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"
> field blank. In the future, the bug number for the Review Request bug
> might be entered here for Bodhi to automatically close when it gets pushed

There's nothing stopping people from entering the review bug in now, and
it's actually done quite frequently. I don't see any reason to not
recommend doing this.

> For new packages, add a copy of the package's description in the "Notes"
> section so end users will know what the package is.

Other than what I mentioned above, this looks fine. Feel free to update
the wiki once you change that.

Thanks!

luke

Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM
"Thomas Moschny"

2008/5/17, Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com>:
>> There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"
>>
>> field blank. In the future, the bug number for the Review Request bug
>> might be entered here for Bodhi to automatically close when it gets pushed
>> to the request update status.
>
> There's nothing stopping people from entering the review bug in now, and
> it's actually done quite frequently. I don't see any reason to not
> recommend doing this.

In fact bodhi already automatically closes the review ticket when the
package arrives in at least one of the stable repositories.

This doesn't seem to be widely known, and I already saw complaints if
the ticket wasn't manually closed by the packager fast enough.

- Thomas

Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Luke Macken

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:46:50PM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> 2008/5/17, Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com>:
> >> There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"
> >>
> >> field blank. In the future, the bug number for the Review Request bug
> >> might be entered here for Bodhi to automatically close when it gets pushed
> >> to the request update status.
> >
> > There's nothing stopping people from entering the review bug in now, and
> > it's actually done quite frequently. I don't see any reason to not
> > recommend doing this.
>
> In fact bodhi already automatically closes the review ticket when the
> package arrives in at least one of the stable repositories.

Right, but only when the review bug number is added to the update.

luke

Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Luke Macken wrote:

There are no bugs that are related to any new package, so leave the "Bugs"

field blank. In the future, the bug number for the Review Request bug
might be entered here for Bodhi to automatically close when it gets pushed
to the request update status.

There's nothing stopping people from entering the review bug in now, and
it's actually done quite frequently. I don't see any reason to not
recommend doing this.

In fact bodhi already automatically closes the review ticket when the
package arrives in at least one of the stable repositories.

Right, but only when the review bug number is added to the update.

Why isn't this automatic?

Rahul

Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 02:09 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> In fact bodhi already automatically closes the review ticket when the
> >> package arrives in at least one of the stable repositories.
> >
> > Right, but only when the review bug number is added to the update.
>
> Why isn't this automatic?

Because Bodhi doesn't have ESP? Without the update submitter telling
bodhi that this is a new package that has a review bug to close how is
bodhi supposed to guess this, let alone guess what the review bug is, or
that this particular update should close the review bug?

Even more interesting considering that current guidelines are about
getting the package in /rawhide/ and closing the bug when it's
in /rawhide/ and currently we don't use bodhi for rawhide...

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Jesse Keating wrote:

In fact bodhi already automatically closes the review ticket when the
package arrives in at least one of the stable repositories.

Right, but only when the review bug number is added to the update.

Why isn't this automatic?

Because Bodhi doesn't have ESP? Without the update submitter telling
bodhi that this is a new package that has a review bug to close how is
bodhi supposed to guess this, let alone guess what the review bug is, or
that this particular update should close the review bug?

Bodhi knows when it's a new package since package maintainers provide
this information. pkgdb already knows a lot of information that can used
too. Package review requests follow a standardized format. It should be
possible to query bugzilla to get the bugzilla report number. It can do
this when the package hits the non-rawhide branches if it hasn't been
manually closed by the package submitter already.

Rahul

Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 18 May 2008 02:33:54 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> >> Why isn't this automatic?
> >
> > Because Bodhi doesn't have ESP? Without the update submitter telling
> > bodhi that this is a new package that has a review bug to close how is
> > bodhi supposed to guess this, let alone guess what the review bug is, or
> > that this particular update should close the review bug?
>
> Bodhi knows when it's a new package since package maintainers provide
> this information. pkgdb already knows a lot of information that can used
> too. Package review requests follow a standardized format. It should be
> possible to query bugzilla to get the bugzilla report number. It can do
> this when the package hits the non-rawhide branches if it hasn't been
> manually closed by the package submitter already.

It would be an unimportant implementation detail. Better spend time on
fixing the many bodhi bugs, such as lack of sorting (of comments, of
updates, of pkg evrs).