Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Gerry Reno

Default F9 nfs, rpcbind, NetworkManager

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

hang. How do I get the network started early enough in the boot with this
NetworkManager in the picture?

for service in messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager ; do
chkconfig $service resetpriorities
done

Bill

Thanks Bill. I did this and I see that in 2 3 4 5 it goes from K90
network to S10 network. I then did 'chkconfig network on' and rebooted
and the mounts work from rc.local but when I get logged in there is no
network. Somehow the network service and the NetworkManager service get
in conflict. How to fix this?

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Bill Nottingham

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
>>> hang. How do I get the network started early enough in the boot with
>>> this NetworkManager in the picture?
>>
>> for service in messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager ; do
>> chkconfig $service resetpriorities
>> done
>
> Thanks Bill. I did this and I see that in 2 3 4 5 it goes from K90 network
> to S10 network.

No, you need to reset the priorities of NetworkManager, et. al., not network.
Where is NetworkManager starting?

> Somehow the network service and the NetworkManager service get in conflict.
> How to fix this?

That depends on your configuration. What do your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files look like?

Bill

Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Gerry Reno

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

hang. How do I get the network started early enough in the boot with
this NetworkManager in the picture?

for service in messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager ; do
chkconfig $service resetpriorities
done

Thanks Bill. I did this and I see that in 2 3 4 5 it goes from K90 network
to S10 network.

No, you need to reset the priorities of NetworkManager, et. al., not network.
Where is NetworkManager starting?

Somehow the network service and the NetworkManager service get in conflict.
How to fix this?

That depends on your configuration. What do your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files look like?

Bill

The whole /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory looks like this:
ifcfg-eth0 ifdown-ippp ifdown-ppp ifup ifup-ipsec ifup-plusb ifup-sl
network-functions
ifcfg-lo ifdown-ipsec ifdown-routes ifup-aliases ifup-ipv6 ifup-post
ifup-tunnel network-functions-ipv6

ifdown ifdown-ipv6 ifdown-sit ifup-bnep ifup-ipx ifup-ppp ifup-wireless
ifdown-bnep ifdown-isdn ifdown-sl ifup-eth ifup-isdn ifup-routes
init.ipv6-global
ifdown-eth ifdown-post ifdown-tunnel ifup-ippp ifup-plip ifup-sit
net.hotplug

Here is my ifcfg-eth0:
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit
Ethernet controller

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=00:1a:4d:5e:f6:36
IPADDR=192.168.1.15
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet

as a side-note: I don't know why this NetworkManager keeps setting
BOOTPROTO=none, I keep resetting it to BOOTPROTO=static but the
NetworkManager always overwrites this.

Right now NetworkManager is set at S99 in 2 3 4 5. In it's file it has:
# chkconfig - 27 73

And how do I undo the messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager
resetpriorities thing if that isn't what's needed?

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Bill Nottingham

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
> Right now NetworkManager is set at S99 in 2 3 4 5. In it's file it has: #
> chkconfig - 27 73
>

> And how do I undo the messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager resetpriorities
> thing if that isn't what's needed?

Well, it apparently didn't take. I'm assuming haldaemon is starting at 98?

Bill

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Gerry Reno

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

Right now NetworkManager is set at S99 in 2 3 4 5. In it's file it has: #
chkconfig - 27 73

And how do I undo the messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager resetpriorities
thing if that isn't what's needed?

Well, it apparently didn't take. I'm assuming haldaemon is starting at 98?

Bill

Yes, haldaemon is at 98.

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Gerry Reno

Gerry Reno wrote:

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
Right now NetworkManager is set at S99 in 2 3 4 5. In it's file it
has: # chkconfig - 27 73

And how do I undo the messagebus haldaemon NetworkManager
resetpriorities thing if that isn't what's needed?

Well, it apparently didn't take. I'm assuming haldaemon is starting
at 98?

Bill

Yes, haldaemon is at 98.

Regards,
Gerry

rpcbind is starting at S13 so NetworkManager would need to start ahead
of this.

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Bill Nottingham

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
>> Well, it apparently didn't take. I'm assuming haldaemon is starting at 98?
>
> Yes, haldaemon is at 98.

What version of hal and NetworkManager do you have?

Bill

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Gerry Reno

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

Well, it apparently didn't take. I'm assuming haldaemon is starting at 98?

Yes, haldaemon is at 98.

What version of hal and NetworkManager do you have?

Bill

]# yum list hal NetworkManager

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit

** rawhide: mirror.hiwaay.net

rawhide******************************************* ****** | 2.4 kB****
00:00***

Installed Packages

NetworkManager.i386********************* 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566.
installed******

hal.i386******************************** 0.5.11-0.5.rc2.fc9****
installed******

Available Packages

NetworkManager.i386********************* 1:0.7.0-0.9.3.svn3623.
rawhide********

hal.i386******************************** 0.5.11-0.7.rc2.fc9****
rawhide********

[root@grp-01-10-01 network-scripts]#

Also, NetworkManager keeps erasing /etc/resolv.conf.* I go into Network
and define all the DNS.* I check /etc/resolv.conf to make sure it gets
there.* And then some time later when I'm doing some network operation
DNS fails and I look and /etc/resolv.conf is empty except for the line
that says generated by NetworkManager.

Regards,

Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Bill Nottingham

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
> rawhide | 2.4 kB 00:00
> Installed Packages
> NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566. installed
> hal.i386 0.5.11-0.5.rc2.fc9
> installed

You need to upgrade.

Bill

Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 16:13 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Also, NetworkManager keeps erasing /etc/resolv.conf. I go into
> Network and define all the DNS. I check /etc/resolv.conf to make sure
> it gets there. And then some time later when I'm doing some network
> operation DNS fails and I look and /etc/resolv.conf is empty except
> for the line that says generated by NetworkManager.

Edit your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or wlan0 or
whatever your using) and put in your DNS1= (DNS2, DNS3, etc) and search=
info and that should help fix it unless your using dhcp.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org