Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Gerry Reno

Default F9 nfs, rpcbind, NetworkManager

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

rawhide | 2.4 kB 00:00
Installed Packages
NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566. installed
hal.i386 0.5.11-0.5.rc2.fc9
installed

You need to upgrade.

Bill

Ok, I did a 'yum upgrade' but that broke LVM.* Now the boot gets to
Starting Logical Volume Management, it says VG0 active, VG1 active and
then it goes and tries to do a filesystem check on VG2 but it never
activated VG2!* So I get dropped to a repair filesystem prompt.*
Aaarghhhh.

Regards,

Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Gerry Reno

Gerry Reno wrote:

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:

rawhide | 2.4 kB 00:00
Installed Packages
NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566. installed
hal.i386 0.5.11-0.5.rc2.fc9
installed

You need to upgrade.

Bill

Ok, I did a 'yum upgrade' but that broke LVM. Now the boot gets to
Starting Logical Volume Management, it says VG0 active, VG1 active and
then it goes and tries to do a filesystem check on VG2 but it never
activated VG2! So I get dropped to a repair filesystem prompt.
Aaarghhhh.

Regards,
Gerry

I checked under /dev and there are only two VolGroups listed: VolGroup00
and VolGroup01

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Gerry Reno

Gerry Reno wrote:

Gerry Reno wrote:

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Gerry Reno (greno@verizon.net) said:
rawhide | 2.4
kB 00:00 Installed Packages
NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566.
installed hal.i386
0.5.11-0.5.rc2.fc9 installed

You need to upgrade.

Bill

Ok, I did a 'yum upgrade' but that broke LVM. Now the boot gets to
Starting Logical Volume Management, it says VG0 active, VG1 active
and then it goes and tries to do a filesystem check on VG2 but it
never activated VG2! So I get dropped to a repair filesystem
prompt. Aaarghhhh.

Regards,
Gerry

I checked under /dev and there are only two VolGroups listed:
VolGroup00 and VolGroup01

Regards,
Gerry

It will not let me issue any lvm commands at the repair filesystem
prompt. It always says "Locking type 1 initialisation failed." So how
are you supposed to do a vgchange -ay and get all you VG's activated
when you cannot even issue an LVM command?

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Gerry Reno

Gerry Reno wrote:
It will not let me issue any lvm commands at the repair filesystem
prompt. It always says "Locking type 1 initialisation failed." So
how are you supposed to do a vgchange -ay and get all you VG's
activated when you cannot even issue an LVM command?

Regards,
Gerry

Ok, I rebooted the system again and this time LVM started all the VG's.
Whew!!

So back to the original problem:

After upgrading, now network is not running during boot. NetworkManager
starts *after* rc.local now. So of course no nfs mounts. Where from here?

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Gerry Reno

I finally got the priorities on NetworkManager to reset to 27 73. So I
reboot and I finally have nfs mounts and network at login. But now the
shutdown hangs. It throws you out to the black 'login:' prompt screen
and then it hangs there forever. I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and it says it
killed init and then I see it send all process TERM and KILL and then a
little further it gets to 'Turning off quotas' and hangs again. So I
wait a while and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del again and it just goes through the
same cycle of killing init, sending TERM and KILL, then turning off the
quotas and gets hung again. So need to push the power button at this point.

Regards,
Gerry

Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 19:16 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> I finally got the priorities on NetworkManager to reset to 27 73. So I
> reboot and I finally have nfs mounts and network at login. But now the
> shutdown hangs. It throws you out to the black 'login:' prompt screen
> and then it hangs there forever. I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and it says it
> killed init and then I see it send all process TERM and KILL and then a
> little further it gets to 'Turning off quotas' and hangs again. So I
> wait a while and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del again and it just goes through the
> same cycle of killing init, sending TERM and KILL, then turning off the
> quotas and gets hung again. So need to push the power button at this point.

I run into this turn, and still haven't figured out how to get past that
point. NM would start up fine, and even my nfs stuff got mounted (if I
remember correctly), but I would hang at the exact point you did. Had
to push the power button to get it to proceed any further.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Dan Williams

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 16:13 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > > Yes, haldaemon is at 98.
> > >

> > What version of hal and NetworkManager do you have?
> >
> > Bill
> >

> ]# yum list hal NetworkManager
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
> * rawhide: mirror.hiwaay.net
> rawhide | 2.4 kB
> 00:00
> Installed Packages
> NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.9.2.svn3566.

Yeah; you'll want latest F9 bits for NM at least.

> Also, NetworkManager keeps erasing /etc/resolv.conf. I go into
> Network and define all the DNS. I check /etc/resolv.conf to make sure
> it gets there. And then some time later when I'm doing some network
> operation DNS fails and I look and /etc/resolv.conf is empty except
> for the line that says generated by NetworkManager.

Since the DNS info is not necessarily global to the entire machine, but
can be per-device, you probably want to define DNS servers and search
domains directly in the ifcfg files as is done for PPP connections
already. Updated versions of NetworkManager will place a note
in /etc/resolv.conf pointing this out if it can't find any DNS servers.

The problem is that resolv.conf is transient. It's created from a
_composite_ of the DNS information from multiple connections. For
example, if I'm on a VPN, I need the nameservers for both my normal
(eth0) connection and the VPN connection, but the VPN may only resolve
names for the private network, not the internet as a whole. But I
certainly don't want the VPN nameserver listed in resolv.conf when I'm
not connected to the VPN. That sort of thing.

Dan

Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Will Woods

I finally got the priorities on NetworkManager to reset to 27 73.
So I reboot and I finally have nfs mounts and network at login. But
now the shutdown hangs. It throws you out to the black 'login:'
prompt screen and then it hangs there forever.

Does it? Hit Alt-F7 - the shutdown messages are on VT7.

-w

Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 09:44 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On May 5, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
> > I finally got the priorities on NetworkManager to reset to 27 73.
> > So I reboot and I finally have nfs mounts and network at login. But
> > now the shutdown hangs. It throws you out to the black 'login:'
> > prompt screen and then it hangs there forever.
>
> Does it? Hit Alt-F7 - the shutdown messages are on VT7.

I see the same thing. It hangs on "shutting down quotas" and you have
to hit the power button to get it to shut off or reboot. I believe in
another email and/or thread this problem was also brought up.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Gerry Reno

Dan Williams wrote:

Since the DNS info is not necessarily global to the entire machine, but
can be per-device, you probably want to define DNS servers and search
domains directly in the ifcfg files as is done for PPP connections
already. Updated versions of NetworkManager will place a note
in /etc/resolv.conf pointing this out if it can't find any DNS servers.

The problem is that resolv.conf is transient. It's created from a
_composite_ of the DNS information from multiple connections. For
example, if I'm on a VPN, I need the nameservers for both my normal
(eth0) connection and the VPN connection, but the VPN may only resolve
names for the private network, not the internet as a whole. But I
certainly don't want the VPN nameserver listed in resolv.conf when I'm
not connected to the VPN. That sort of thing.

Dan

Well, I would think in this scenario of supporting per-device name
resolution that /etc/resolv.conf would act as a 'global' db and the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg* files would be the per-device
db.* But NM should not just erase your /etc/resolv.conf.* That's just
wrong.* You fill in all the info it its gui and then save and then
sometime later at some random time it just decides its going to erase
/etc/resolv.conf.* Very bad.* Besides, I have many tools/scripts that
work against /etc/resolv.conf and of course I would have to rewrite
these if I wanted them to support per-device dns.* But I shouldn't have
to if I only want a global dns nameserver db in /etc/resolv.conf.

Regards,

Gerry