Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

Default Kerneloops?

Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!

Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?

--
projecthuh.com
All of my bits are free, are yours? Fedoraproject.org

Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 05/05/2008, Dr. Diesel <dr.diesel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
> error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!
>
> Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?

Should be in /var/log/messages

If you want to read more about kernel bugs
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-en-0.3-rc1.pdf

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Eric Sandeen

Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
> error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!
>
> Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?

kerneloops sends oopses to kerneloops.org, if you let it (did it ask?)

I've never actually seen the kerneloops-applet in action, dunno what it
says or looks like... if it's not helpful or confusing I suppose that
should be fixed.

It should also be in the "normal" places, /var/log/messages or at least
the console.

-Eric

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com> wrote:
> Dr. Diesel wrote:
> > Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
> > error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!
> >
> > Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?
>
> kerneloops sends oopses to kerneloops.org, if you let it (did it ask?)
>
> I've never actually seen the kerneloops-applet in action, dunno what it
> says or looks like... if it's not helpful or confusing I suppose that
> should be fixed.
>
> It should also be in the "normal" places, /var/log/messages or at least
> the console.
>
> -Eric

Guess I thought there would have been a /var/log/kerneloops or something!

Kerneloops --help and man kerneloops don't exist!

Nothing kerneloops specific in /var/log/messages Tons of GDM debug though...

I let it submit to Kerneloops.org, GUI looked nice, just wanted to
know what the error was.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Dave Jones

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 02:01:22PM -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Dr. Diesel wrote:
> > > Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
> > > error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!
> > >
> > > Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?
> >
> > kerneloops sends oopses to kerneloops.org, if you let it (did it ask?)
> >
> > I've never actually seen the kerneloops-applet in action, dunno what it
> > says or looks like... if it's not helpful or confusing I suppose that
> > should be fixed.
> >
> > It should also be in the "normal" places, /var/log/messages or at least
> > the console.
> >
> > -Eric
>
> Guess I thought there would have been a /var/log/kerneloops or something!
>
> Kerneloops --help and man kerneloops don't exist!
>
> Nothing kerneloops specific in /var/log/messages Tons of GDM debug though...

grep for kernel: in there, and you should turn up something.

> I let it submit to Kerneloops.org, GUI looked nice

good to know we at least look good when we fail

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
"Dr. Diesel"

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 02:01:22PM -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:

> > > kerneloops sends oopses to kerneloops.org, if you let it (did it ask?)
> > >
> > > I've never actually seen the kerneloops-applet in action, dunno what it
> > > says or looks like... if it's not helpful or confusing I suppose that
> > > should be fixed.
> > >
> > > It should also be in the "normal" places, /var/log/messages or at least
> > > the console.
> > >
> > > -Eric
> >
> > Guess I thought there would have been a /var/log/kerneloops or something!
> >
> > Kerneloops --help and man kerneloops don't exist!
> >
> > Nothing kerneloops specific in /var/log/messages Tons of GDM debug though...
>
> grep for kernel: in there, and you should turn up something.
>

> > I let it submit to Kerneloops.org, GUI looked nice
>
> good to know we at least look good when we fail
>
> Dave

[root@localhost ~]# grep -i "kernel" /var/log/messages
May 4 04:10:31 localhost kernel: imklog 3.14.1, log source =
/proc/kmsg started.
May 4 04:10:31 localhost kernel: Inspecting
/boot/System.map-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64
May 4 04:10:31 localhost kernel: Loaded 28121 symbols from
/boot/System.map-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64.
May 4 04:10:31 localhost kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.25.
May 4 04:10:31 localhost kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel
modules not enabled.
May 5 12:44:56 localhost kerneloops: Submitted 2 kernel oopses to
www.kerneloops.org

The only kernel module I have is VirtualBox.

Andy

Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 AM
Arjan van de Ven

On Mon, 5 May 2008 13:37:42 -0500
"Dr. Diesel" <dr.diesel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Had a Kerneloops message pop up today, said something about a critical
> error, didn't bother to tell me what the error was!
>
> Where is this stored, doesn't seem to be in the normal log locations?

the latest version of kerneloops will give you an URL you can visit
your crash at after it has been submitted and processed...