Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Default Localisation needs to be improved

Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:18 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LocalePreferences

Enlist and add your comments, ideas, proposals and changes!

I started doing so, but I think I'd rather send my comments here, since
a discussion is easier via mail.

1. '[...] will end up in all LC_* environment variables being set' - I
don't quite follow here. env | grep LC_ comes up empty for me, only LANG
is sent. Who is setting all the LC_ variables for you ?

Try: locale. It'll match LANG unless you've tweaked it.

2. 'Users should be able to adjust their LC_* preferences [...]' is far
to vague imo. What users can be expected to set, reasonably, is their
language and location. Anything beyond that, like picking a default
paper size or time format, seems to be much to specialized for a general
purpose capplet, and is much better done where it is needed (ie paper
size in the print dialog, time format in the clock).

Well, actually all these printer dialogs and clocks (including those in
thunderbird, or the top right corner of the average GNOME desktop),
afaik, get their default from LC_TIME. Setting LC_TIME means you do not
have to change from 12 to 24 hour clocks and back in each and every
application. The same goes for paper dimensions.

3. Note that we are aiming more or less at obsoleting s-c-date with the
intlclock work.

No we're not. One is to create a very simple interface to adjust various
locales with whether in user space or as system defaults, which is
completely separate from s-c-date, the other is to softly imply or
suggest defaults from timezone configuration in s-c-date and/or
anaconda, rather then imply defaults from s-c-language. Note that
s-c-language of course will still need to be able to control LC_* as
well - it might need a little enhancement.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 01:29 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:18 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LocalePreferences
> >>
> >> Enlist and add your comments, ideas, proposals and changes!
> >>

> > I started doing so, but I think I'd rather send my comments here, since
> > a discussion is easier via mail.
> >
> > 1. '[...] will end up in all LC_* environment variables being set' - I
> > don't quite follow here. env | grep LC_ comes up empty for me, only LANG
> > is sent. Who is setting all the LC_ variables for you ?
> >

> Try: locale. It'll match LANG unless you've tweaked it.

Of course, I know that. But the feature page makes it sound as if LC_*
are explicitly set.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Jens Petersen

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams さんは書きました: