Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Tim Niemueller

Default Fedora Robotics SIG

Hi Fedora users.

Responding to Paul's blog entry that we use Fedora on our robots for
autonomous robot soccer games and service robotics provoked some echoes.
After making it more public what we do on Planet Fedora Jeff Spaleta
asked me to start a Robotics SIG - so we do now!

I ask everybody who is interested in robotics to join the effort and
bring robotics related software into Fedora and make it fit to power
robots, to provide educational tools for robotics starters and to make
it a good distro to develop for robots in general.

I have setup a wiki page at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics.
Please visit and add yourself if you are interested. I have tentatively
scheduled an IRC meeting for next Wednesday, May 7th at 15:00 UTC on IRC
(see wiki page). Let us know if you want to participate but the time
just happens not to be when you are awake so that we can agree on a time
where we max the number of participants. If there are enough people
interested we can think about creating a fedora-robotics-list.

My personal interest in this is mobile robotics and embodied artificial
intelligence. I think Jeff noted some specific interest in the
educational sector of robotics. Robotics is a wide field so we need more
people involved, maybe even with other specific interest in particluar
sub-domains of the field.

The plan is to start identifying interesting software projects that
would be worth packaging (and license compatible, always a problem in
this field), targeting some robotics-related problems (hardware support
comes to my mind) and try to find solutions.

Join now, robotics is a lot of fund and many robots can be built with a
small budget already.

Regards from Aachen,
Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de

Old 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Tim Niemueller

Initial meeting starts now. If you want to join meet us on
irc.freenode.org in channel #fedora-robotics.

Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de