Old 05-03-2008, 03:42 AM
"Colin Walters"

Default Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:

> Not sure, but I bet the "shim" is the java-sun-compat package that lets
> you install the Sun RPM, then sets up alternatives and other symlinks to
> make the expected incantations work. That is not a nosrc package,
> though it may have no actual source. It depends on the Sun RPM from
> java.sun.com.

Yeah, that's what was under discussion, or at least it's what I
thought Les wanted.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

Colin Walters wrote:

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:

Not sure, but I bet the "shim" is the java-sun-compat package that lets
you install the Sun RPM, then sets up alternatives and other symlinks to
make the expected incantations work. That is not a nosrc package,
though it may have no actual source. It depends on the Sun RPM from
java.sun.com.

Yeah, that's what was under discussion, or at least it's what I
thought Les wanted.

I know Les mentioned the nosrc rpms in the same email as he complained
that Fedora wasn't shipping something that he felt was necessary for
java-on-Fedora. So I thought it best to have that clarified.

-Toshio

Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Les Mikesell

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu>
Not sure, but I bet the "shim" is the java-sun-compat package that lets
you install the Sun RPM, then sets up alternatives and other
symlinks to

make the expected incantations work. That is not a nosrc package,
though it may have no actual source. It depends on the Sun RPM from
java.sun.com.

Yeah, that's what was under discussion, or at least it's what I
thought Les wanted.

I know Les mentioned the nosrc rpms in the same email as he complained
that Fedora wasn't shipping something that he felt was necessary for
java-on-Fedora. So I thought it best to have that clarified.

Yes the java-sun-compat package is the missing piece. Whether it's
actually included in fedora or not isn't particularly important, but its
location should be documented and there have been long intervals of time
when no jpackage.org support existed for current fedora revisions. My
impression was that this was intentional on fedora's part but perhaps
that was mistaken.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Yes the java-sun-compat package is the missing piece.

On the subject of java-sun-compat in JPackage, it has been the last package
I've maintained there for the last several months. But it has also been
quite a while since I've actually used it myself and as always, I don't plan
to maintain stuff I don't use in the long term, and I've actually announced
my retirement from JPackage a few minutes ago.

I gather there are quite a few users of the java-*-sun-compat packages,
they're a pretty trivial bunch to maintain, and there hasn't been much
interest among active JPackage contributors towards them in the past (no idea
if that has changed since). So I'd encourage people who like to see them
available and up to date and who have time to help out with them to get in
touch with the JPackage folks.

> Whether it's
> actually included in fedora or not isn't particularly important, but its
> location should be documented and there have been long intervals of time
> when no jpackage.org support existed for current fedora revisions.

java-*-sun-compat should be unaffected by that as they live in the "generic"
JPackage repositories.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Casey Dahlin

Les Mikesell wrote:

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Colin Walters wrote:
[...]

I think we need to re-gage this after we're a bit into F9 general
availability. The open source alternatives to Java have gotten much,
much better this go round, and many of the early adopters I've talked to
have said their java issues have gone completely away. We need to figure
out what role proprietary java will now play in the lives of our users.

--CJD

Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> I think we need to re-gage this after we're a bit into F9 general
> availability. The open source alternatives to Java have gotten much, much
> better this go round, and many of the early adopters I've talked to have
> said their java issues have gone completely away. We need to figure out what
> role proprietary java will now play in the lives of our users.

Going forward, I think very little to none. Apps which only support
Java 5 will be a pain point for a while, but there are some Red Hat
hackers working on more complete generic architecture support with a
LLVM-based JIT.