Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Paul

Default /etc/alternatives not quite working

Hi,

For some odd reason emacs has stopped working on my system. Looking at
it, there wasn't anything in /etc/alternatives for it. Adding a symlink
from /etc/alternatives to /usr/bin/emacs-22.2 is doing nothing.

Has something broken or is there something I need to do to register an
application in alternatives?

TTFN

Paul

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:12:57 +0100, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some odd reason emacs has stopped working on my system. Looking at
> it, there wasn't anything in /etc/alternatives for it. Adding a symlink
> from /etc/alternatives to /usr/bin/emacs-22.2 is doing nothing.
>
> Has something broken or is there something I need to do to register an
> application in alternatives?

It's in bugzilla for a long time. See:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/bugs/emacs

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 2.39 2.33 2.01

Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 12:12 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some odd reason emacs has stopped working on my system. Looking at
> it, there wasn't anything in /etc/alternatives for it. Adding a symlink
> from /etc/alternatives to /usr/bin/emacs-22.2 is doing nothing.
>
> Has something broken or is there something I need to do to register an
> application in alternatives?

I'm trying to reproduce this one to troubleshoot it, but I simply can't,
not even following the steps listed in bz 394131.

~spot

Old 05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

TC> I'm trying to reproduce this one to troubleshoot it, but I simply
TC> can't, not even following the steps listed in bz 394131.

I had one fresh F7 install (out of a hundred or so) where emacs was
installed but the alternatives stuff just wasn't done at all. All of
the installs were identical (all i386, same kickstart files/package
set, though the hardware itself differs wildly). I couldn't figure
out what had gone wrong, and reinstalling emacs fixed things up.

I suspect there's some weird race involved.

- J<

Old 05-02-2008, 05:45 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> I had one fresh F7 install (out of a hundred or so) where emacs was
> installed but the alternatives stuff just wasn't done at all. All of
> the installs were identical (all i386, same kickstart files/package
> set, though the hardware itself differs wildly). I couldn't figure
> out what had gone wrong, and reinstalling emacs fixed things up.

There's some sort of binary state files in /var/lib/alternatives; I
once had a problem on one of our servers where the /usr/bin/java
alternative was screwed up, and eventually traced it down to what
appeared to be corruption of that file.

I fixed it by blowing it away and reinstalling the package,
attributing it to a heisenbug, but maybe there is some sort of race or
periodic flaw in the alternatives system.