Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Nicolas Mailhot

Default is xorg.conf still needed

Le mardi 29 avril 2008 à 21:41 -0700, SL Baur a écrit :
> On 4/29/08, Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > I'm having discussions with someone about this at the moment and would
> > > appreciate some clarification on where things are head so that this can
> > > be addressed at their end.[1]
>
> With all the stupid-key rich Microsoft oriented keyboards in use now, it would
> be really nice to have one of the Alt keys produce Alt (the other
> Meta)

An awful lot of countries already distinguish between the two alts and
use the right one as iso-level-3 modifier. Some even use right-ctrl as
iso-level-5 modifier. So these keys are not available for remapping
except for American users. If you want them remapped on en_US, just send
a patch to the xkeyboard-config authors.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le mardi 29 avril 2008 à 23:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz a écrit :

> This is a very strong goal for Fedora 10, at least for me. There are a
> couple of outstanding things that are going to have to be taken care of:
> *) Getting the X keyboard layout set based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

I hope this will be done by making the console use xkb layouts, so we
can drop the console layout name / X layout name mapping (which is
always incomplete and out of date).

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
"Ahmed Kamal"

That is some great work. However, will there be a way to tell X to do something, instead of what it sees best? i.e. perhaps I don't want to run my monitor at the highest resolution, perhaps I am attaching a projector, but I do not want it activated now, rather after I organize my presentation ... etc

Is there a GUI/CLI tool to talk to X

Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
That is some great work. However, will there be a way to tell X to do
something, instead of what it sees best? i.e. perhaps I don't want to
run my monitor at the highest resolution, perhaps I am attaching a
projector, but I do not want it activated now, rather after I organize
my presentation ... etc

Is there a GUI/CLI tool to talk to X

Yes. GNOME has gnome-display-properties. KDE has system settings which
is being improved for KDE 4.1 to support additional features.

Rahul

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Callum Lerwick

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 01:12 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Speaking about xorg.conf. It would be nice to discuss about tablet device
> support like Wacom model. So far I have to manually edit that file to fully
> enable feature of stylus. Maybe talking to upstream would help.

Yes. My wife has an old serial Wacom. To add to the fun, she now has a
"legacy-free" laptop. I purchased a USB-serial adapter so she could
continue to use it. This means the serial port device is not necessarily
constant, and may not even be there when X starts up. It works just fine
as long as you kept the serial adapter plugged in at all times.
Unplugging it and plugging it back in tends to cause it to show up as a
the next device number up, which of course screws things up real good...

... Is this kind of setup ever going to "just work"? Its a 12x12in
tablet which is worth quite a bit of $$$. We got it for free some years
back from someone who went Mac OSX and thus couldn't use it anymore.
Wacom and Apple insist USB serial adapters can't work and refuse to
support such a set up in OSX. They're full of crap of course...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-04-30, 02:52 GMT, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
> fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
> that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.
>
> I'm having discussions with someone about this at the moment and would
> appreciate some clarification on where things are head so that this can
> be addressed at their end.[1]
>
> [1] The nvidia service from livna tries to
> run /usr/sbin/nvidia-config-display which seems to require a xorg.conf
> file in place. It appears that either (a) livna will need to work
> around the absence of this file by creating one (how?), and eventually
> (b) that nvidia will need to rewrite their software to recognize that
> the file need not exist.

The whole truth is that we are on the way towards Stateless Linux
(which means here xorg.conf-less X), but we are not there yet. To
be honest, the way is long and the question is whether we will
arrive at Fedora 10 or later. To make my point clear, we consider
since Fedora Core 6 to be a bug, when Xorg doesn't work at all
withtout /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but that doesn't mean that everybody
should have 3D, etc. automagically.

And of course binary-only nvidia drivers are The Pure Evil(TM),
so those won't be supported ever.

> --
> "It's a fine line between denial and faith.
> It's much better on my side"

Which one it is? ;-)

Best,

Matěj

Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Adam Tkac

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:52:20PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I've been running my system for the past week without an xorg.conf file
> and it seems to work well
>
> I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
> fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
> that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.

I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:

- your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily
- you want use some external module (like vnc module)
- you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)

Best should be use autoconfiguration as much as possible but preserve
and create minimal xorg.conf.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Ron Yorston

"Jerry James" <loganjerry@gmail.com> wrote:
>Please don't forget us folks who run Fedora on rack-mounted servers in
>the back room. I've got a single monitor, mouse, and keyboard shared
>via a KVM switch between several machines. The odds are high that
>those I/O devices cannot be queried for their properties at X startup
>time because the KVM switch is set to some other machine.

+1

I have a KVM switch between my firewall and desktop machines. While
the desktop was booting up I often switched to the console of the
firewall to do something else, thus making more effective use of my
time. With recent versions of Fedora this results in the desktop not
detecting the monitor and getting a stupid default resolution.

Ron

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Jos Vos

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:56:48AM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:

> I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
> manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:
>
> - your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily
> - you want use some external module (like vnc module)
> - you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
> is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)
>
> Best should be use autoconfiguration as much as possible but preserve
> and create minimal xorg.conf.

I agree on this.

Besides frequent issues with new hardware (and thus having to specify
drivers or turn of acceleration etc.) I use xorg.conf for setting
blank/standby/suspendtime values, for specifying extra input devices
(like touch screens) ans for loading the vnc module (with options).

Having a minimal configuration that works for the masses is better,
IMHO.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Dmitry Butskoy

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

This is a very strong goal for Fedora 10, at least for me. There are a
couple of outstanding things that are going to have to be taken care of:
*) Getting the X keyboard layout set based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

I hope this will be done by making the console use xkb layouts,

Does it mean that we will have to have xkb things installed even on
machines where X is not installed now?

(servers etc.)

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy