Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Christian Iseli

Default Sponsor required

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:31:10 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Here is the difference between "I have a open ear for your problems;
> just come and tell me about it"

I agree we do mostly this as a committee, we wait for project members
(be they part of the committee or not) to report problems / raise
questions before we act.

> vs. "I'm looking after you all the
> time and think I noticed you have some problems; should we try to
> solve them together" again I mentioned in a mail to this list
> yesterday.

The way I read this, it sounds mostly like kindergarten where the
adults will kindly look after the kids and try to get them to behave
and do something interesting of their day. I'm not sure I am
completely comfortable with this vision of how Fedora/FESCo should be
operating. Sure, we can be proactive. But I'd feel a bit like
big brother, breathing down everyone's neck trying to make sure they
have no worries, and it sounds a bit "too much" for me. I'm not sure
I'd enjoy having such a meddling committee looking after my Fedoran
well being. But maybe that's just me.

On the other hand, I'd really enjoy that the whole Fedora community be a
bit more "meddling", when it comes to how things work in Fedora. The
fact that there are rotting situations in BZ reports that do not
transpire to the larger community until a contributor thinks his best
course of action is to retire, is not good. I think that angering
situations should be brought in the open for discussion as early as
possible, either on this list or to FESCo or FAB. I do not think we
should mandate FESCo to go hunting down potential angering situations
in all corners of the Fedora world.

Ah well, maybe I'm rambling now...

Cheers,
Christian

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 16:31 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > We have a
> > standing item in the meeting to discuss and vote on sponsors. We
> > literally have not received any nominations in quite a while.
>
> Here is the difference between "I have a open ear for your problems;
> just come and tell me about it" vs. "I'm looking after you all the time
> and think I noticed you have some problems; should we try to solve them
> together" again I mentioned in a mail to this list yesterday.
>
> In the Extras days (at least those when I run the meetings) we
> *actively* looked out for new sponsors all the time:

Because we had relatively few, and it was a problem. I've not heard of,
or seen in my looking, any issues with too few sponsors.

> * we each meeting asked for new sponsor nominations (self-nominations
> or nominations from other people) and thus everyone had to think about
> it for a moment

We still did this after Extras. It was largely a waste of time because
we have so few nominations these days.

> * in the agenda we send out to the list there was the point "sponsor
> (self-)nominations" quite often (not often enough) -- that way everyone
> on the list got a reminder that they can nominate/self-nominate

That can be added back if people think there's value in it.

> * new sponsor-nominations were not a FESCO-only thing; we tried to
> integrate the existing sponsors into the discussions and decisions, as
> they are in the best position for it ()

When people actually nominate themselves or get nominated in some other
fashion, this still happens. At least as far as I know.

> FESCO doesn't do any of the above properly these days IMHO. Especially
> the first two points are IMHO important and made sure people always got
> reminded that they could self-nominate or nominate other people. Most of
> the time in fact in were no self-nomination -- often people got
> nominated by existing sponsors.

There is nothing, NOTHING, preventing that from happening today.

josh

Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Hans de Goede

Josh Boyer wrote:
* new sponsor-nominations were not a FESCO-only thing; we tried to
integrate the existing sponsors into the discussions and decisions, as
they are in the best position for it ()

Not AFAIK, I haven't seen a mail directed to the sponsors asking about the
eligibility of a potential new sponsor in ages.

For example where is the mail about Denis's self nomination.

These mails had multiple purposes, they not only helped in getting some more
input on wether someone is ready to become a sponsor, they also often lead to
new nominations, as by talking about making people new sponsors people actually
where thinking about it, and about who could be possible candidates.

As Thorsten said, its important to keep this in people's radar, it is something
that very easily gets drowned out in all the other stuff going on in Fedora.

Regards,

Hans

Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Denis Leroy

Hans de Goede wrote:

For example where is the mail about Denis's self nomination.

Hans, I just added myself to the NewSponsors wiki.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Brian Pepple

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 09:26 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> For example where is the mail about Denis's self nomination.

I had asked for some information from Denis before sending out the
announcement, and just got a response from him last night.

Later,
/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E