Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM
"David Nielsen"

Default Monodevelop and video card recommedations

2008/4/29 Paul F. Johnson <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:

Hi,

Double pronged email this...

1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics

without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time

being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their

drivers.
You'd probably need to look at an r300 based ATI card, not the fastest cards available but they are extremely well supported using our free drivers.

2. Monodevelop (rawhide) currently has a problem - no editor. For that to

work, it has to have gtksourceview2-sharp installed. Currently, this is only

available from the Novell ftp site. Not really a problem, nor is the licence.

However, the package will still need to be approved. Given that monodevelop is

pretty useless without the editor, is there a fast track way to get

gtksourceview2-sharp into rawhide?

I'll do the review just add me to cc on the bug report.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Kevin Kofler

Paul F. Johnson <paul <at> all-the-johnsons.co.uk> writes:
> 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics
> without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time
> being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their
> drivers.

Radeons with at most a R4xx series chipset. In marketing numbers, that's the
ones without an "X" (e.g. 7000 (R1xx), 9200, 9250 (R2xx), 9500, 9550 (R3xx)),
the "X" ones up to and including X850 and the "X1050" which is just a reedited
X300/X550/X600 series card (R3xx series chipset, unlike the X850 which is an
R4xx).

Careful, the "X" ones are primarily PCI-Express, though there are AGP versions
of some of them.

WARNING: Stay clear of anything with a higher number than X1050, those are R5xx
or R6xx series cards and not supported by Free 3D drivers yet. You have been
warned.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Intel cards is the only sane choice if you want free driver AND good 3D

P.S. Next time please split problems to several mails, so discussion
can branch nicely

http://scwlab.com

Old 04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:54:10 +0100,
"Paul F. Johnson" <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics
> without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time
> being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their
> drivers.

I have a Radeon 9200 AGP card. It was relatively cheap and doesn't have
its own fan, which is nice. I bought it a while ago now, so I don't know
how easy they are to get any more. (Avoid SE verions or 9250s as they are
slower versions of the same device and probably aren't enough cheaper to
warrent getting them.)

Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Callum Lerwick

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:28 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> Intel cards is the only sane choice if you want free driver AND good 3D

They asked for an AGP card. If you can point me to an AGP card made by
Intel since the i740, (Which isn't even supported.) I'd gladly consider
one myself.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Adam Jackson

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 12:28 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:28 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> > Intel cards is the only sane choice if you want free driver AND good 3D
>
> They asked for an AGP card. If you can point me to an AGP card made by
> Intel since the i740, (Which isn't even supported.) I'd gladly consider
> one myself.

Clarification: not supported for 3D. 2D driver works fine.

- ajax

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Paul

Hi,

> > 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics
> > without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time
> > being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their
> > drivers.
>
> I have a Radeon 9200 AGP card. It was relatively cheap and doesn't have
> its own fan, which is nice. I bought it a while ago now, so I don't know
> how easy they are to get any more. (Avoid SE verions or 9250s as they are
> slower versions of the same device and probably aren't enough cheaper to
> warrent getting them.)

I've spotted at 128Mb ATi Radeon 9250 on eBay for about 20 UKP. Any
comments on if it works fine in Rawhide?

TTFN

Paul

Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
"David Nielsen"

30. apr. 2008 10.18 skrev Paul <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:

Hi,

> > 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics

> > without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time

> > being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their

> > drivers.

> I have a Radeon 9200 AGP card. It was relatively cheap and doesn't have

> its own fan, which is nice. I bought it a while ago now, so I don't know

> how easy they are to get any more. (Avoid SE verions or 9250s as they are

> slower versions of the same device and probably aren't enough cheaper to

> warrent getting them.)

I've spotted at 128Mb ATi Radeon 9250 on eBay for about 20 UKP. Any

comments on if it works fine in Rawhide?
I have that very card type in my machine and it runs compiz beautifully, don't expect high framerates in modern games though.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
"Bill Crawford"

[someone else wrote:]
> > I have a Radeon 9200 AGP card. It was relatively cheap and doesn't have
> > its own fan, which is nice. I bought it a while ago now, so I don't know
> > how easy they are to get any more. (Avoid SE verions or 9250s as they are
> > slower versions of the same device and probably aren't enough cheaper to
> > warrent getting them.)

It's the "9250 SE" that's slower (half the speed). The "9250 pro" is
twice as fast (memory bandwidth) as the "9200" (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units
for details).

> I've spotted at 128Mb ATi Radeon 9250 on eBay for about 20 UKP. Any
> comments on if it works fine in Rawhide?

If it's the "9250 Pro", then it's almost identical to the 9200, 240
instead of 250 MHz clock, is available in 8x AGP and PCI-e variants,
and has pretty solid 3d support up to F8; rawhide still seems to have
teething problems, but Dave Airlie et al are working their butts off.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
"Bill Crawford"

On 30/04/2008, Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's the "9250 SE" that's slower (half the speed). The "9250 pro" is
> twice as fast (memory bandwidth) as the "9200" (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units
> for details).

I meant of course, as the "9250 SE"; it's almost the same as the original 9200.