Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Monodevelop and video card recommedations

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 14:19:22 +0000,
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

> WARNING: Stay clear of anything with a higher number than X1050, those are R5xx
> or R6xx series cards and not supported by Free 3D drivers yet. You have been
> warned.

There actually is some limited support for those cards. I have an rv530 based
card at work and it works for normal stuff. glxgears doesn't run very fast
on it so, at least some stuff isn't supported yet. While the original poster
might not want one if he needs 3D now, it might make sense for other people
who just need it to be usable now and are willing to wait for 3D support
to show up later.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:18:42 +0100,
Paul <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:

> I've spotted at 128Mb ATi Radeon 9250 on eBay for about 20 UKP. Any
> comments on if it works fine in Rawhide?

I have a 256MB 9200 which should be close enough to compare. The card itself
is fine, but when combined with an LCD monitor that doesn't do EDID (new ones
will but mine is pretty old) there is a problem. The current ATI driver
in this case treats a monitor connected to the DVI port that doesn't do EDID
as though there isn't a monitor detected (even though it knows there is one
connected) and then the driver falls back to outputting the video signal to
the VGA port which isn't very useful. Arlie doesn't appear to consider this
a high priority problem since in some sense the monitor is broken. I have
a work around patch (a hack that isn't suitable for general use) for one of
he recent drivers (the -5 version). At some point I may try to figure out
a more correct fix, but I don't understand the driver well enough to figure
it out right now, and I have higher priority stuff to do as well. If you
are using a CRT, a newer LCD monitor, or willing to use the VGA port to drive
even an old LCD monitor, you should be OK.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
"Thomas J. Baker"

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 08:54 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Double pronged email this...
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend an AGP card which will allow me to run 3D graphics
> without using non-GPL drivers? I want to move away from nVidia for the time
> being. Nothing against their cards, just that to use 3D, I need to use their
> drivers.

I asked this same question a while back (with the added requirements of
dual head and pcie) and was pointed to R300 cards. There is one rather
huge caveat to watch out for though: the R300 cards have a max texture
size of 2048 which means no compiz for screen resolutions > 2048. In a
dual head setup, it's a deal breaker. I don't know if this will ever be
addressed in compiz but it's quite limiting. (My laptop with intel
graphics has the same limitation.)

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker email: tjb@unh.edu |
| Systems Programmer |
| Research Computing Center voice: (603) 862-4490 |
| University of New Hampshire fax: (603) 862-1761 |
| 332 Morse Hall |
| Durham, NH 03824 USA http://wintermute.sr.unh.edu/~tjb |