Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
"Jerry James"

Default Java debugging

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> I take your point. Does simply rebuilding that RPM fix this problem?

Rebuilding that RPM fails:

[javac] /home/jamesjer/rpmbuild/BUILD/axis-1_2_1/src/org/apache/axis/i18n/ProjectResourceBundle.java:363:
clearCache() in org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle cannot
override clearCache() in java.util.ResourceBundle; overridden method
is static final
[javac] public static void clearCache()
[javac] ^

--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/

Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Andrew Haley

Jerry James wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I take your point. Does simply rebuilding that RPM fix this problem?
>
> Rebuilding that RPM fails:
>
> [javac] /home/jamesjer/rpmbuild/BUILD/axis-1_2_1/src/org/apache/axis/i18n/ProjectResourceBundle.java:363:
> clearCache() in org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle cannot
> override clearCache() in java.util.ResourceBundle; overridden method
> is static final
> [javac] public static void clearCache()
> [javac] ^

Oh, great. :-(

That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.

Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

Andrew.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Andrew Haley wrote:

Jerry James wrote:

I take your point. Does simply rebuilding that RPM fix this problem?

Rebuilding that RPM fails:

[javac] /home/jamesjer/rpmbuild/BUILD/axis-1_2_1/src/org/apache/axis/i18n/ProjectResourceBundle.java:363:
clearCache() in org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle cannot
override clearCache() in java.util.ResourceBundle; overridden method
is static final
[javac] public static void clearCache()
[javac] ^

Oh, great. :-(

That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.

Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Andrew Haley

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Jerry James wrote:
>>> Rebuilding that RPM fails:
>>>
>>> [javac]
>>> /home/jamesjer/rpmbuild/BUILD/axis-1_2_1/src/org/apache/axis/i18n/ProjectResourceBundle.java:363:
>>>
>>> clearCache() in org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle cannot
>>> override clearCache() in java.util.ResourceBundle; overridden method
>>> is static final
>>> [javac] public static void clearCache()
>>> [javac] ^
>>
>> Oh, great. :-(
>>
>> That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
>>
>> Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>
> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?

They'll work; they're binary compatible, not source compatible.

ecj/gcj should still be able to build them, since that's 1.5.

Andrew.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Les Mikesell

Andrew Haley wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:

Jerry James wrote:

[...]

What about jsp pages and similar things that are recompiled dynamically?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Andrew Overholt

> Andrew Haley wrote:
> > Jerry James wrote:
> >> Rebuilding that RPM fails:
> >>
> >> [javac] /home/jamesjer/rpmbuild/BUILD/axis-1_2_1/src/org/apache/axis/i18n/ProjectResourceBundle.java:363:
> >> clearCache() in org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle cannot
> >> override clearCache() in java.util.ResourceBundle; overridden method
> >> is static final
> >> [javac] public static void clearCache()
> >> [javac] ^
> >
> > Oh, great. :-(
> >
> > That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
> >
> > Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:
> >
> > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
> > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>
> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?

Since OpenJDK is >= 1.6 (ignoring gcj and other GNU Classpath-based
JVMs), I'm not sure if there's a better solution. Is there?

Andrew

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Andrew Haley

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> Oh, great. :-(
>>>
>>> That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
>>>
>>> Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:
>>>
>>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
>> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?
>
> They'll work; they're binary compatible, not source compatible.

Hmm, I think I'm wrong about that: we'll get an assert failure.

I think this should be fixed.

Andrew.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Andrew Haley

Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:55 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> Oh, great. :-(
>>>
>>> That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
>>>
>>> Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:
>>>
>>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
>> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?
>
> Since OpenJDK is >= 1.6 (ignoring gcj and other GNU Classpath-based
> JVMs), I'm not sure if there's a better solution. Is there?

Not really, no. We'll have to fix such bugs where they arise.

Andrew.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Les Mikesell

Andrew Overholt wrote:

[...]

The obvious solution is to ship a jpackage nosrc style rpm for the Sun
Java versions that you are unwilling to include. That would fix up the
fedora rpm dependencies and alternatives symlink weirdness that make
using your own downloaded binary painful otherwise. Or maybe someone
can get the jpackage people to document which of their packages will
work for recent fedora versions.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Andrew Overholt

> >> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
> >> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?
> >
> > Since OpenJDK is >= 1.6 (ignoring gcj and other GNU Classpath-based
> > JVMs), I'm not sure if there's a better solution. Is there?
>
> The obvious solution is to ship a jpackage nosrc style rpm for the Sun
> Java versions that you are unwilling to include.

This would go against Fedora's goals.

> Or maybe someone
> can get the jpackage people to document which of their packages will
> work for recent fedora versions.

Maybe you could be that someone

Andrew