Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 AM
Holger Dörner

Default how to avoid package naming conflicts?

Hi all,

I have just a short (and maybe stupid) question:
I want to build a RPM and SRPM for a library, cause I need the latest
version from upstream. My problem is, the package allready exists in
Fedora repo (older version), so there would be a naming conflict.
How do I avoid this conflict? Just put something in the name to identify
it clearly?

Btw: The library is libewf and I need it for sleuthkit for forensics,
but it doesn't build with current libewf in F8. If all goes fine I also
would like to set up my own repo.

Thank you so far.

Holger Dörner
Fedora Ambassador (Germany)

- http://fedoraproject.org
- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HolgerDoerner

Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Holger Dörner wrote:

Hi all,

I have just a short (and maybe stupid) question:
I want to build a RPM and SRPM for a library, cause I need the latest
version from upstream. My problem is, the package allready exists in
Fedora repo (older version), so there would be a naming conflict.
How do I avoid this conflict? Just put something in the name to identify
it clearly?

Btw: The library is libewf and I need it for sleuthkit for forensics,
but it doesn't build with current libewf in F8. If all goes fine I also
would like to set up my own repo.

Thank you so far.

Talk to the maintainer of libewf and check if the maintainer can get the
release bumped up to the version you want.

Rahul

Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 AM
Mike Cronenworth

I have just a short (and maybe stupid) question:
I want to build a RPM and SRPM for a library, cause I need the latest
version from upstream. My problem is, the package allready exists in
Fedora repo (older version), so there would be a naming conflict.
How do I avoid this conflict? Just put something in the name to identify
it clearly?

Btw: The library is libewf and I need it for sleuthkit for forensics,
but it doesn't build with current libewf in F8. If all goes fine I also
would like to set up my own repo.

Thank you so far.

Regards,

Use rpm -Uhv to install your newer version. Grab the RPMs you wish to
use the new library with and rpmbuild --rebuild them. Use rpm -Uhv
--force --replacefiles to install the programs.

Or, as mentioned, get the maintainer to update.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

If it's same library, just other version, then it's not a naming
conflict, it's just an upgrade (backport, to be precise). RPM won't
complain about it unless library ABI changed.

I have repository for centos5 which has newer versions of php, mysql
and openbox backported from fedora9, and everything works great. Don't
be afraid to experiment with versions for non-critical packages, you
can always revert back to repository version by removing your package
and asking yum to pull older version from repository

http://scwlab.com