Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Casey Dahlin

Default sudo-like login with policykit

I like using the sudo style logins on my box, where it asks for my
password instead of root's. That may not be anyone else's thing, that's
OK. This is not a thread about changing the default.

But about changing it for me personally...

In F8 I was able to do this by mass-editing a whole bunch of console-kit
config files and adding myself to wheel. PolicyKit is supposed to make
this easier now, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

My question is: should we provide a mechanism to make switching to
personal authentication easy (or easier at any rate)? We don't have to
change the default, but empowering the user is a good thing. I would add
that the ability to remove the root password from the same tool might
also be helpful (none of my boxes have any root password whatsoever).

--CJD

Old 04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 16:25 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> I like using the sudo style logins on my box, where it asks for my
> password instead of root's. That may not be anyone else's thing, that's
> OK. This is not a thread about changing the default.
>
> But about changing it for me personally...
>
> In F8 I was able to do this by mass-editing a whole bunch of console-kit
> config files and adding myself to wheel. PolicyKit is supposed to make
> this easier now, but I haven't figured out how to do it.
>
> My question is: should we provide a mechanism to make switching to
> personal authentication easy (or easier at any rate)? We don't have to
> change the default, but empowering the user is a good thing. I would add
> that the ability to remove the root password from the same tool might
> also be helpful (none of my boxes have any root password whatsoever).

In F9, what you can do is use polkit-gnome-authorization to change what
PolicyKit asks you for for individual actions. The tool lets you change
the implicit authorizations that are use for all users (e.g. to only
require Authentication instead of Admin Authentication), and it also
lets you grant explicit authorizations for individual users.

polkit-gnome-authorization is in the menus at System > Preferences >
System > Authorizations.

For F10 and beyond, we probably want to look at a) integrating this in a
user-management tool that would replace s-c-users and lets you easily
set up authorizations for new users (maybe just pick prefefined 'roles'
like administrator, regular user or guest). And b) a reworked about me
capplet should offer a simplified view of my own privileges.

Matthias

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Matthew Miller

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:25:16PM -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> In F8 I was able to do this by mass-editing a whole bunch of console-kit
> config files and adding myself to wheel. PolicyKit is supposed to make this

With F9, the config programs which use consolehelper are even easier,
because all you have to do is add the single line UGROUPS=wheel to
/etc/security/console.apps/config-util (and of course put yourself in the
wheel group), and presto.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:25:16PM -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> I like using the sudo style logins on my box, where it asks for my
> password instead of root's. That may not be anyone else's thing, that's
> OK. This is not a thread about changing the default.
>
> But about changing it for me personally...
>
> In F8 I was able to do this by mass-editing a whole bunch of console-kit
> config files and adding myself to wheel. PolicyKit is supposed to make
> this easier now, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

'man PolicyKit.conf'

Even in F8 you merely need to edit a single file to give yourself sudo
style access over every single policykit based app.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|