Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Nicu Buculei

Default Vegastrike Live

I have not played Vegastrike ever, so I have no idea about how good is
the game (and frankly, space sims are not my favorite genre, so I don't
have any plans to learn), but reading the thread about its data package
file size this idea seems natural to me: how about a special Fedora spin
for the game?

While it does not solve the initial problem about space on mirrors and
bandwidth usage, it seems a cool idea to me to have a bootable USB pen
drive (with live persistence for savegames!!!) with a minimal Fedora and
the complete game. It may be targeted at 1 GB drives (including the
space for live persistence), to keep the costs low.

Thinking more about it, maybe even drop any desktop, start the game
directly and shut down on exit. Simple as this: put the drive in, start
the computer and play (pimp Fedora only during the startup, while RHGB
is doing its job).

This may work also for other such large games and it may be a good
showcase of our technology.

[1] -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-April/msg01927.html

Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Dropping desktop means user is forced to reboot to play game. If you
leave some lightweight environment like xfce, it will be also showcase
of fedora as system for desktop usage

http://scwlab.com

Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Nicu Buculei

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

Dropping desktop means user is forced to reboot to play game. If you
leave some lightweight environment like xfce, it will be also showcase
of fedora as system for desktop usage

It can work both ways, have an Xfce if there is enough space but also
having a "game appliance" may be an interesting angle - when I play
something I get quite involved and don't want something to interfere
(mail, IM, etc.)

Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
"Bill Crawford"

On 25/04/2008, Pavel Shevchuk <stlwrt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dropping desktop means user is forced to reboot to play game.

All that's being suggested is launching X without, or a minimal, WM,
... could be done as a special gdm session type, even (have a session
which launches nothing but a game, or some very simple menu that lets
you choose them; that would make a good kiosk-style demo).