Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Rodd Clarkson

Default New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm planning on updating vegastrike to the new 0.5.0 upstream release for F-10
> and maybe later F-9 / F-8 too, but vegastrike has been dead for a while and now
> makes some huge changes, so better to keep the old trusted version for F-8 /
> F-9 for a while.
>
> However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?

That depends. Are you wanting it installed on the Live CD? 8-]

R.
It's much better on my side"

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
David Timms

Hans de Goede wrote:

However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?

And just for interest how big once installed ?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Jakub Jelinek

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:31:26PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm planning on updating vegastrike to the new 0.5.0 upstream release for F-10
> > and maybe later F-9 / F-8 too, but vegastrike has been dead for a while and now
> > makes some huge changes, so better to keep the old trusted version for F-8 /
> > F-9 for a while.
> >
> > However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?
>
> That depends. Are you wanting it installed on the Live CD? 8-]

For Live CD it is obviously out of the question, it wouldn't even fit
there, but even in the Everything trees 500MB of data for a game is IMHO too
much. Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do local
installs etc.

Jakub

Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Ven 25 avril 2008 10:47, Jakub Jelinek a écrit :

> For Live CD it is obviously out of the question, it wouldn't even fit
> there, but even in the Everything trees 500MB of data for a game is
> IMHO too much.

Can't the data set be broken out in several packages ?

> Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do
> local installs etc.

That just means we need more granular repositories, with one
repository devoted to big lumps of optional resources like game data,
artwork (images/audio/video), artistic fonts, document templates,
cliparts, etc

IMHO it's good to have more FLOSS stuff packaged and we should not
limit our ecosystem - that would put Fedora to a huge competitive
disadvantage WRT entities with no such qualms.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Bill Crawford

On Friday 25 April 2008 07:59:33 Hans de Goede wrote:

> However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?

For the love of all that is holy, please do package them separately and don't
update them *evar* ;o)

Seriously, though, I think the last couple of replies have been spot on ... we
should possibly consider creating a "data repository". Perhaps even without
the rpm packaging, for cases where it's literally just a big file of data.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
"Rudolf Kastl"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:31:26PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm planning on updating vegastrike to the new 0.5.0 upstream release for F-10
> > > and maybe later F-9 / F-8 too, but vegastrike has been dead for a while and now
> > > makes some huge changes, so better to keep the old trusted version for F-8 /
> > > F-9 for a while.
> > >
> > > However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?
> >
> > That depends. Are you wanting it installed on the Live CD? 8-]
>
> For Live CD it is obviously out of the question, it wouldn't even fit
> there, but even in the Everything trees 500MB of data for a game is IMHO too
> much. Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do local
> installs etc.

but i really dont see the issue here, simply because you could just
exclude that one package from mirroring. what if someone adds 100 x
5mb packages tomorrow... the everything mirror scripts will then have
to mirror the same size.

splitting makes sense if splitting is an option... seperate repo?
first all gets merged into one "because it is so much better" then
people promote to split out stuff into seperate repos again... oh well

in the future i guess it is a save prediction that there will be even
larger packages

... and as for updates... if we had presto properly integrated that
would also be a non issue.

dont really see the point of excluding a nice free software game just
because it comes with a good amount of content/data and i am also
curious if it really should be treated in a special way.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. if you wanna top a 500mb package... just package all flightgear
scenarios into a single flightgear-world rpm then we can test how
well it works to have a package that is several gigabytes big (j/k)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Dan Horák

Bill Crawford pÃ*Å¡e v Pá 25. 04. 2008 v 10:19 +0100:
> On Friday 25 April 2008 07:59:33 Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > However the 0.5.0 datafiles are 500 Mb b2zipped! So is this a problem?
>
> For the love of all that is holy, please do package them separately and don't
> update them *evar* ;o)
>
> Seriously, though, I think the last couple of replies have been spot on ... we
> should possibly consider creating a "data repository". Perhaps even without
> the rpm packaging, for cases where it's literally just a big file of data.

I think an additional "Data" repository could be the answer here. Also
one "data" package can serve more Fedora releases. Mirrors can choose
whether or not to mirror it, links can save the space for multiple
releases. On the user side you will see only a new fedora-data.repo file
in yum.repos.s :-)

Dan

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Ven 25 avril 2008 11:19, Bill Crawford a écrit :
> Perhaps even without
> the rpm packaging, for cases where it's literally just a big file of
> data.

Strong -1. Anything we distribute must go through rpm/yum/pk to reuse
the efforts we expend on this infrastructure and avoid the endless
bickering on what should and should not be packaged upstreams are so
fond of (as soon as they realize packaging means some effort on their
part).

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM
"Rudolf Kastl"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Ven 25 avril 2008 11:19, Bill Crawford a écrit :
>
> > Perhaps even without
> > the rpm packaging, for cases where it's literally just a big file of
> > data.
>
> Strong -1. Anything we distribute must go through rpm/yum/pk to reuse
> the efforts we expend on this infrastructure and avoid the endless
> bickering on what should and should not be packaged upstreams are so
> fond of (as soon as they realize packaging means some effort on their
> part).

agreed. working around the package management is basically a
punishable offence in our world... think dep tracking... think removal
think version tracking etc etc etc

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do
local installs etc.

That just means we need more granular repositories, with one
repository devoted to big lumps of optional resources like game data,
artwork (images/audio/video), artistic fonts, document templates,
cliparts, etc

Just hardlinking the file between the different repos on the server
should IMHO solve most problems and avoids all the problems a separate
repo would bring.

CU
thl