Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Matthew Miller

Default minimal install

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 03:24:09PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Total download size: 94 M
> > > Installed size: 401 M
> > Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
> > support, right?
> Or more:
> 122659574 kernel
> 117821428 glibc-common
> 35623360 linux-firmware
> 14233540 coreutils
> 13845828 glibc

So, if a minimal image is a very high priority, this could be shrunk.
Handwaving aside the difficulty for a moment, if the default kernel split
out some of the drivers, maybe that could get down to 60MB. Leave out
linux-firmware.... And glibc-common is almost _entirely_ locale and i18n.
Because we still want to be _Fedora_, not a tiny-linux distro, let's leave
coreutils and glibc as-is. Still, though, we've shaved off 200+ MB.

With this, the three versions of "minimal" you give come down to about:

@core + kernel: 300MB
systemd [...] yum: 240MB 20% savings
systemd + not yum: 195M 35% savings

Chew away at the dependencies and at the size of some of the other packages
(python 2to3, I'm looking at you), and we could get the middle option down
below 200MB.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 15.10.2012 21:47, schrieb Matthew Miller:
>>> Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
>>> support, right?
>> Or more:
>> 122659574 kernel
>> 117821428 glibc-common
>> 35623360 linux-firmware
>> 14233540 coreutils
>> 13845828 glibc
>
> So, if a minimal image is a very high priority, this could be shrunk.
> Handwaving aside the difficulty for a moment, if the default kernel split
> out some of the drivers, maybe that could get down to 60MB. Leave out
> linux-firmware.... And glibc-common is almost _entirely_ locale and i18n.
> Because we still want to be _Fedora_, not a tiny-linux distro

but what speaks against sub-packages and a mtea-packge installed as
default which pulls all the packages in to have the same state as
now but leave the option to remove meta-package and unneeded locale
to the administrator?

one may say "disk storage is nothing these days"
iw ould say: mulitply it with 20, 50, 100 virtual machines
on really expensive SAN-storage where "disk space is cheap"
is not true

Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Chris Murphy

On Oct 15, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

>>> Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
>>> support, right?
>> Or more:
>> 122659574 kernel
>> 117821428 glibc-common
>> 35623360 linux-firmware
>> 14233540 coreutils
>> 13845828 glibc
>
> So, if a minimal image is a very high priority, this could be shrunk.
> Handwaving aside the difficulty for a moment, if the default kernel split
> out some of the drivers, maybe that could get down to 60MB. Leave out
> linux-firmware.... And glibc-common is almost _entirely_ locale and i18n.
> Because we still want to be _Fedora_, not a tiny-linux distro, let's leave
> coreutils and glibc as-is. Still, though, we've shaved off 200+ MB.
>
> With this, the three versions of "minimal" you give come down to about:
>
> @core + kernel: 300MB
> systemd [...] yum: 240MB 20% savings
> systemd + not yum: 195M 35% savings
>
> Chew away at the dependencies and at the size of some of the other packages
> (python 2to3, I'm looking at you), and we could get the middle option down
> below 200MB.

In my opinion, Minimal should include yum. Without yum, Minimal is suddenly not Fedora. It's like the brim is totally missing.

Chris Murphy

Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 15.10.2012 22:02, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Oct 15, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> With this, the three versions of "minimal" you give come down to about:
>>
>> @core + kernel: 300MB
>> systemd [...] yum: 240MB 20% savings
>> systemd + not yum: 195M 35% savings
>>
>> Chew away at the dependencies and at the size of some of the other packages
>> (python 2to3, I'm looking at you), and we could get the middle option down
>> below 200MB.
>
> In my opinion, Minimal should include yum. Without yum, Minimal is suddenly not Fedora. It's like the brim is totally missing.

+1

yum/rpm is the core of a linux-distribution

all other dependencies in my opinion should be as less as
possible - if you decide "minimal" you should be aware if
some packages are missing, in the worst case the firmware
of your NIC

but even this is solveable easy by put it on a CD/USB or mount
a ISO in a VM to get network access - on the other side if
you have no firmwares, apckages you are not active using you
are able to make really tight systems

having 20 of them affects how large the roofs has to be
for your needs x count of instalaltions in a virtual environment

after the setup it affects the amount of downloads for updates
* mirror load
* time for the updates
* possible temporary dependency-problems
* space fpr full vm-images (backups)
* time for restore of the backups
* time for cloning test-VMs

cunclusion: even in days of really large and cheap disks there are
many reasons fro as small as possible system footprints and in days
of more and more VM/cloud setups this becomes meaningful in many cases