-   -   F18 beta TC4 btrfs options (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/712303-f18-beta-tc4-btrfs-options.html)

Chris Murphy 10-14-2012 08:47 PM

F18 beta TC4 btrfs options

On Sep 13, 2012, at 3:17 PM, David Lehman wrote:

> If I didn't make it clear enough in my response to your original post,
> there has been a significant amount of change in this exact area since
> we branched for alpha stabilization. I'll wait until you have seen those
> changes before discussing it further.

I'm still confused about the appearance of checkboxes and mutually exclusive options (e.g. I can choose Redundancy or Optimized with only one disk; or both options with only two disks, etc.) Seems like the UI behavior should be:

Single disk: Neither Redundancy nor Optimized checkboxes should be selectable (either not visible or grayed out).

2-3 disks chosen: Optimized and Redundancy appear as radio buttons (mutually exclusive options) with Optimized selected by default.

4+ disks, there are two valid options:
a.) Same behavior as for 2-3 disks i.e. either raid0 or raid1.
b.) Change from radio buttons to checkboxes to include raid10 support; UI requires one or both checkboxes to be checked. Since none of the release requirements requires raid10, this UI behavior is optional.

Chris Murphy

David Lehman 10-15-2012 05:02 PM

F18 beta TC4 btrfs options

On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 14:47 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2012, at 3:17 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> >
> > If I didn't make it clear enough in my response to your original post,
> > there has been a significant amount of change in this exact area since
> > we branched for alpha stabilization. I'll wait until you have seen those
> > changes before discussing it further.
>

> I'm still confused about the appearance of checkboxes and mutually exclusive options (e.g. I can choose Redundancy or Optimized with only one disk; or both options with only two disks, etc.) Seems like the UI behavior should be:
>
> Single disk: Neither Redundancy nor Optimized checkboxes should be selectable (either not visible or grayed out).

You shouldn't bother with btrfs raid options until you can use
anaconda-18.17.

The one thing you mentioned that might still be a problem is allowing
btrfs raid when only one disk is present/selected. I'll look into that.

David Lehman 10-15-2012 05:24 PM

F18 beta TC4 btrfs options

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 12:02 -0500, David Lehman wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 14:47 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Sep 13, 2012, at 3:17 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> > >
> > > If I didn't make it clear enough in my response to your original post,
> > > there has been a significant amount of change in this exact area since
> > > we branched for alpha stabilization. I'll wait until you have seen those
> > > changes before discussing it further.
> >

> > I'm still confused about the appearance of checkboxes and mutually exclusive options (e.g. I can choose Redundancy or Optimized with only one disk; or both options with only two disks, etc.) Seems like the UI behavior should be:
> >
> > Single disk: Neither Redundancy nor Optimized checkboxes should be selectable (either not visible or grayed out).
>
> You shouldn't bother with btrfs raid options until you can use
> anaconda-18.17.
>
> The one thing you mentioned that might still be a problem is allowing
> btrfs raid when only one disk is present/selected. I'll look into that.

This also seems to work fine with anaconda-18.17.