-   -   Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/711039-schedule-wednesdays-fesco-meeting-2012-10-10-a.html)

Kevin Fenzi 10-10-2012 12:01 AM

Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10)

Following is the list of topics that will be discussed in the FESCo
meeting Wednesday at 17:00UTC (1:00pm EDT) in #fedora-meeting on
irc.freenode.net.

Links to all tickets below can be found at:
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/report/9

= Followups =

#topic #946 Fedora 18 Beta freeze readiness: is major functionality in place?
.fesco 946
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/946

#topic #932 F18 Features - progress at Feature Freeze
.fesco 932
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/932

See also: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/932#comment:11 for a list of
features that are not 100% at this moment.

= New business =

none

= Open Floor =

For more complete details, please visit each individual ticket. The
report of the agenda items can be found at
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/report/9

If you would like to add something to this agenda, you can reply to
this e-mail, file a new ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/fesco,
e-mail me directly, or bring it up at the end of the meeting, during
the open floor topic. Note that added topics may be deferred until
the following meeting.

Matthew Miller 10-10-2012 01:25 AM

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:01:22PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> If you would like to add something to this agenda, you can reply to
> this e-mail, file a new ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/fesco,
> e-mail me directly, or bring it up at the end of the meeting, during
> the open floor topic. Note that added topics may be deferred until
> the following meeting.

It'd be nice to have something on this:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Marcela Mašláňová 10-10-2012 10:08 AM

Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10)

If you would like to add something to this agenda, you can reply to
this e-mail, file a new ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/fesco,
e-mail me directly, or bring it up at the end of the meeting, during
the open floor topic. Note that added topics may be deferred until
the following meeting.

It'd be nice to have something on this:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945

I don't have any proposal how to solve it. I guess the best approach
will be policy based on wishes of Spins maintainers.

Marcela

Kevin Fenzi 10-10-2012 06:43 PM

Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:08:31 +0200
Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2012 03:25 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:01:22PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >> If you would like to add something to this agenda, you can reply to
> >> this e-mail, file a new ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/fesco,
> >> e-mail me directly, or bring it up at the end of the meeting,
> >> during the open floor topic. Note that added topics may be
> >> deferred until the following meeting.
> >
> > It'd be nice to have something on this:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945
> >
> I don't have any proposal how to solve it. I guess the best approach
> will be policy based on wishes of Spins maintainers.

So, I was going to draft up a policy for this, but then I recalled that
we already fixed the display-manager case (whichever one is installed
last is run).

For regular spins then, I am not sure what things they would want to
change in presets. Any thoughts on something they would change?

In which case, I say we should just pick some reasonably low number for
cloud to use and leave it at that. All the cloud preset is going to do
is enable cloud-init right? Or are there other things? If we don't want
this preset to happen to get installed on non cloud things, you could
just do it in the kickstart of the cloud image.

Other cases of presets are things that users could do in their image
kickstart files... so nothing we need to do.

17-cloud.preset

(I like 17, it's a lucky number).

Thoughts?

kevin

Matthew Miller 10-10-2012 06:50 PM

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:43:10PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> So, I was going to draft up a policy for this, but then I recalled that
> we already fixed the display-manager case (whichever one is installed
> last is run).

Doesn't that come down to "it's random" in the combined case?

> In which case, I say we should just pick some reasonably low number for
> cloud to use and leave it at that. All the cloud preset is going to do
> is enable cloud-init right? Or are there other things? If we don't want

That's all it's going to do right now.

However, if things change in the base defaults in the future, we may want to
enable other services.

> Other cases of presets are things that users could do in their image
> kickstart files... so nothing we need to do.
> 17-cloud.preset
> (I like 17, it's a lucky number).

Okay.

Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Bill Nottingham 10-10-2012 07:36 PM

Kevin Fenzi (kevin@scrye.com) said:
> So, I was going to draft up a policy for this, but then I recalled that
> we already fixed the display-manager case (whichever one is installed
> last is run).
>
> For regular spins then, I am not sure what things they would want to
> change in presets. Any thoughts on something they would change?
>
> In which case, I say we should just pick some reasonably low number for
> cloud to use and leave it at that. All the cloud preset is going to do
> is enable cloud-init right? Or are there other things? If we don't want
> this preset to happen to get installed on non cloud things, you could
> just do it in the kickstart of the cloud image.
>
> Other cases of presets are things that users could do in their image
> kickstart files... so nothing we need to do.
>
> 17-cloud.preset
>
> (I like 17, it's a lucky number).
>
> Thoughts?

I suppose 'it depends'. A server might have different presets than a
desktop - it may want apache on by default, or a DB server config that
enables mysql/postgres.

Similarly, there's nothing to say in the future that the KDE and GNOME spins
might have different presets aside from display managers.

Bill

Kevin Fenzi 10-10-2012 10:39 PM

Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:50:05 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:43:10PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > So, I was going to draft up a policy for this, but then I recalled
> > that we already fixed the display-manager case (whichever one is
> > installed last is run).
>
> Doesn't that come down to "it's random" in the combined case?

Well, not exactly. It's in actual install order. So if you

yum install gdm
and then
yum install lightdm

you get gdm

I think it makes sense to default to the one you first installed.
The only place it's somewhat random is if you:

yum install gdm lightdm lxdm

and then you get whatever installs first... if you are doing that
however, I would expect you to set the one you wanted to use.

> > In which case, I say we should just pick some reasonably low number
> > for cloud to use and leave it at that. All the cloud preset is
> > going to do is enable cloud-init right? Or are there other things?
> > If we don't want
>
> That's all it's going to do right now.
>
> However, if things change in the base defaults in the future, we may
> want to enable other services.

Sure, I'm just trying to think of what such other use cases are...

kevin

Kevin Fenzi 10-10-2012 10:40 PM

Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2012-10-10)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:36:29 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:

> I suppose 'it depends'. A server might have different presets than a
> desktop - it may want apache on by default, or a DB server config that
> enables mysql/postgres.

Sure, but "server" is like "computer"... very general purpose. ;)

If you are wanting to deploy a webserver you might make your own preset
file to enable those services you want, but thats an end user choice,
not something we could/should ship.

> Similarly, there's nothing to say in the future that the KDE and
> GNOME spins might have different presets aside from display managers.

Yeah, perhaps. I'm just not thinking of what those services would be
off hand.

kevin

Matthew Miller 10-10-2012 11:40 PM

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 04:39:13PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Doesn't that come down to "it's random" in the combined case?
> Well, not exactly. It's in actual install order. So if you
>
> yum install gdm
> and then
> yum install lightdm

But what if it's done by anaconda?

> > However, if things change in the base defaults in the future, we may
> > want to enable other services.
> Sure, I'm just trying to think of what such other use cases are...

I think turning off sshd by default but having a preset to turn it on makes
a lot of sense -- most places which will want it on will be using kickstart,
or else will otherwise have little problem enabling it after the fact.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Adam Williamson 10-11-2012 12:55 AM

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 12:43 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:08:31 +0200
> Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > It'd be nice to have something on this:
> > >
> > > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945
> > >
> > I don't have any proposal how to solve it. I guess the best approach
> > will be policy based on wishes of Spins maintainers.
>
> So, I was going to draft up a policy for this, but then I recalled that
> we already fixed the display-manager case (whichever one is installed
> last is run).

This reminds me, we need to take the trigger files out of the *dm
packages now, right?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey