-   -   Developing for Fedora Operating System (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/710947-developing-fedora-operating-system.html)

Rohit 10-09-2012 06:38 PM

Developing for Fedora Operating System

Thank You Very Much For Your Reply.

I am Interested in the OS Developer Category.

The Description of Programming i need to know for OS Development is not clear. What All programming languages should i know for OS Development ?

One More Thing, I would like to know. The Fedora's GSoC 2012 Page was tagged with PHP as well. I wish to know for which category can I help Fedora with my PHP knowledge.

Thank you.

Rohit 10-09-2012 06:38 PM

"Richard W.M. Jones" 10-09-2012 06:46 PM

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:08:58AM +0530, Rohit wrote:
> Thank You Very Much For Your Reply.
>
> I am Interested in the OS Developer Category.
>
> The Description of Programming i need to know for OS Development is
> not clear. What All programming languages should i know for OS
> Development ?

Most OS development is done on the kernel and some core command line
tools, and most of these are written in C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28programming_language%29

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Debarshi Ray 10-09-2012 07:24 PM

Developing for Fedora Operating System

> I am seriously considering developing for the Fedora Linux Operating
> System.

I would suggest that you try to get involved in more upstream (eg., GNOME)
projects instead of a distribution. That way you are higher up the food chain
and effect change on a wider and deeper scale.

Best of luck.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

--