Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Matthew Miller

Default replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:58:45AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Like to me rsyslog since the journal is an integrated part of systemd.

Because a huge change like replacing traditional logging with journald needs
to happen as part of a process, not just because another core program adds
similar-but-different functionality.

Eventually, systemd will probably have some time-based scheduling
functionality -- it's part of the original plan. We'll need to have the same
discussion around cron.

If systemd starts including a text editor, we can talk about vi. But unless
it offers almost-identical semantics, it can't happen near-automatically. In
fact, even if it *is* identical, we need to intentionally decide on what's
best for the Fedora.

We want *features*, and first*. But we're also a community of *friends*
*making decisions together. Systemd's journal offers some compelling
features. We want to make those available, and quickly. But let's get
everyone on board.

Lennart, systemd developers: journalctl already has a mode which will output
traditional-looking text log dumps. Would it be possible to offer a
journald-compat service which writes the traditional /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure? Or is it better to continue shipping rsyslog for that
purpose? This wouldn't be a "forever" solution, just a migration path, and
eventually something which could default to off. (I can't be the first
person to ask this, but I can't find anything with the googles....)

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM

> From: "Jhann B. Gumundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>

> I personally want to see the documentation releng/fesco
has about what

> the default minimal set, what the process is to have something

> include,excluded from it and why the packages that exist in it are
there

> in the first place.

I too would very much like to see this
as almost all of the (hundreds, soon to be thousands of) systems I manage
start life as a minimal install and grow "just enough" to fit
their role. *I take "minimal" quite literally in that I
believe it should be the absolute minimum to boot, login and install more
atop of that, but only as needed. *Anything beyond this is some "use
case", but minimal is minimal.

--

John Florian