Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Building an unpatched Linus kernel as an RPM

Reading:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

I know how to rebuild the kernel RPM and have done it many times.
But I've been asked to reproduce a bug using a completely vanilla
unpatched Linus kernel. Do we have a recommended way to do that
(but still using RPM)?

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Peter Robinson

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> Reading:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>
> I know how to rebuild the kernel RPM and have done it many times.
> But I've been asked to reproduce a bug using a completely vanilla
> unpatched Linus kernel. Do we have a recommended way to do that
> (but still using RPM)?

Yep, you just need to define with_vanilla 1 in the spec file. If you
just search for vanilla in kernel.spec it's reasonably straight
forward.

Peter