-   -   Building an unpatched Linus kernel as an RPM (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/710751-building-unpatched-linus-kernel-rpm.html)

"Richard W.M. Jones" 10-09-2012 07:42 AM

Building an unpatched Linus kernel as an RPM

Reading:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

I know how to rebuild the kernel RPM and have done it many times.
But I've been asked to reproduce a bug using a completely vanilla
unpatched Linus kernel. Do we have a recommended way to do that
(but still using RPM)?

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Peter Robinson 10-09-2012 07:45 AM

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> Reading:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>
> I know how to rebuild the kernel RPM and have done it many times.
> But I've been asked to reproduce a bug using a completely vanilla
> unpatched Linus kernel. Do we have a recommended way to do that
> (but still using RPM)?

Yep, you just need to define with_vanilla 1 in the spec file. If you
just search for vanilla in kernel.spec it's reasonably straight
forward.

Peter