Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Daniel Veillard

Default systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:43:22AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 07:17:58PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > > libxml2 takes up 5.2M, of which 3.8M is docs
> > It really should go in -devel, I agree !
>
> Check it out -- we've accomplished something with this thread.

Done, fixed in rawhide, base package install size is now down
to 1.6 MB, the docs were already in the -devel package so I kept
them there.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit http://xmlsoft.org/
daniel@veillard.com | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Chris Murphy

On Oct 9, 2012, at 7:14 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Anaconda isn't going to do that unless there is rpm support to re-docify yourself. To accomplish this right now, every package would have to split out a -docs subpackage with all the docs in it. Anaconda /might/ do what you want in the future, by way of kickstart commands, but that's not something we're going to expose in the UI.

Infrastructure Server option comes pretty close, I think. 800MB vs 1.1G, no-GUI, but does appear to have docs.

Chris Murphy

Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Jesse Keating

Anaconda isn't going to do that unless there is rpm support to
re-docify yourself. To accomplish this right now, every package
would have to split out a -docs subpackage with all the docs in it.
Anaconda /might/ do what you want in the future, by way of
kickstart commands, but that's not something we're going to expose
in the UI.

Infrastructure Server option comes pretty close, I think. 800MB vs
1.1G, no-GUI, but does appear to have docs.

Chris Murphy

Well, we do currently have the "minimal" environment, which boils down
to @core + the couple things anaconda forces (authconfig,
system-config-firewall-base, kernel, bootloader). You can get to that
via kickstart with just:

%packages
@core
%end

But it's not close to what some of these people want out of a "minimal"
install.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk

Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@j2solutions.net) said:
> Well, we do currently have the "minimal" environment, which boils
> down to @core + the couple things anaconda forces (authconfig,
> system-config-firewall-base, kernel, bootloader). You can get to
> that via kickstart with just:
>
> %packages
> @core
> %end
>
> But it's not close to what some of these people want out of a
> "minimal" install.

For reference:

@core + kernel:
Install 38 Packages (+157 Dependent packages)
Total download size: 128 M
Installed size: 506 M

But hey, I just want something smaller!

systemd + util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd + yum:
Install 7 Packages (+132 Dependent packages)
Total download size: 106 M
Installed size: 446 M

But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!

systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:

Install 6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)
Total download size: 94 M
Installed size: 401 M

Bill

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:19:03PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!
> systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:
> Install 6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)
> Total download size: 94 M
> Installed size: 401 M

Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
support, right?

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM

> From: Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>

> Jesse Keating (jkeating@j2solutions.net) said:

> > Well, we do currently have the "minimal" environment,
which boils

> > down to @core + the couple things anaconda forces (authconfig,

> > system-config-firewall-base, kernel, bootloader). *You can
get to

> > that via kickstart with just:

> > %packages

> > @core

> > %end

> > But it's not close to what some of these people want out of a

> > "minimal" install.

> For reference:

> @core + kernel:

> *Install *38 Packages (+157 Dependent packages)

> *Total download size: 128 M

> *Installed size: 506 M

> But hey, I just want something smaller!

> systemd + util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd + yum:

> *Install *7 Packages (+132 Dependent packages)

> *Total download size: 106 M

> *Installed size: 446 M

> But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!

> systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:

> Install *6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)

> Total download size: 94 M

> Installed size: 401 M

Bill, thanks for that excellent report!
*It shows me that even if you strip away some of the "conveniences",
you really don't save that much over our normal "minimal" install.
*Very enlightening.

--

John Florian

Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Bill Nottingham

Matthew Miller (mattdm@fedoraproject.org) said:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:19:03PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!
> > systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:
> > Install 6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)
> > Total download size: 94 M
> > Installed size: 401 M
>
> Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc locale
> support, right?

Or more:

122659574 kernel
117821428 glibc-common
35623360 linux-firmware
14233540 coreutils
13845828 glibc

Bill

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:24:09 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:

> Matthew Miller (mattdm@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:19:03PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!
> > > systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:
> > > Install 6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)
> > > Total download size: 94 M
> > > Installed size: 401 M
> >
> > Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc
> > locale support, right?
>
> Or more:
>
> 122659574 kernel
> 117821428 glibc-common
> 35623360 linux-firmware
> 14233540 coreutils
> 13845828 glibc

I wonder... could we make linux-firmware optional?

I would expect many virt env's don't need any firmware to work...
(but of course I could be wrong).

kevin

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 15.10.2012 21:34, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:24:09 -0400
> Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Miller (mattdm@fedoraproject.org) said:
>>>
>>> Of which one quarter is the kernel and the other quarter is glibc
>>> locale support, right?
>>
>> Or more:
>>
>> 122659574 kernel
>> 117821428 glibc-common
>> 35623360 linux-firmware
>> 14233540 coreutils
>> 13845828 glibc
>
> I wonder... could we make linux-firmware optional?
>
> I would expect many virt env's don't need any firmware to work...
> (but of course I could be wrong)

you are right

the dependency was introduced not so long ago
a bugreport was closed with "WONT FIX"
i went the road below

[root@buildserver:~]$ cat /rpmbuild/SPECS/linux-firmware-dummy.spec
%global checkout 06c8f81

License: GPL
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
Provides: linux-firmware = %{version}
Provides: kernel-firmware = %{version}

%description
metapackage to satisfy kernel-dependencies on vmware-servers

%install
rm -rf ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}

%files

%clean
rm -rf ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}

%changelog
* Wed Apr 11 2012 Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net>
- initial build

Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Bill Nottingham

Kevin Fenzi (kevin@scrye.com) said:
> > 122659574 kernel
> > 117821428 glibc-common
> > 35623360 linux-firmware
> > 14233540 coreutils
> > 13845828 glibc
>
> I wonder... could we make linux-firmware optional?
>
> I would expect many virt env's don't need any firmware to work...
> (but of course I could be wrong).

"It depends". It includes firmware for wired NICs as well as other things,
so it depends on what hardware your virtual environment is deciding to
emulate.

Bill