Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Matthew Miller

Default systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:19:59PM -0700, J. Randall Owens wrote:
> Just on the naming, I'd rather steer clear of the actual concept, let me
> get this straight: You want a group called "adm", presumably short for
> "administrator", the point of which is that it can view system things,
> but not actually *administer* them? Why on Earth call it "adm"?

The group is already there, so it's not a big stretch, but I agree the
naming is confusing when used in this way. ("wheel" isn't exactly
straightforward either, but at least it's Traditional.)

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 06:14:39PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Anaconda isn't going to do that unless there is rpm support to
> re-docify yourself. To accomplish this right now, every package
> would have to split out a -docs subpackage with all the docs in it.
> Anaconda /might/ do what you want in the future, by way of kickstart
> commands, but that's not something we're going to expose in the UI.

I was hoping that there might be a few packages we could target to split out
the docs from to get us most of the way there, but it really just adds up.
There are a few that might be quick but very small wins, though:

libxml2 takes up 5.2M, of which 3.8M is docs
rsyslog takes up 2.5M, of which 1.4M is docs
pam takes up 3.1M, of which 1.1M is docs

(This is in the F17 EC2 image.... I'll check F18 and Rawhide tomorrow.)

I'll file bugs against these. Much less work than anything else I've seen
here, and gets us something -- particularly libxml2, where it's mostly
developer docs.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Simo Sorce

> On 10/09/2012 05:50 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 9, 2012, at 6:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> there's no simple 'install all those docs that got left out'
> >> command.
> >
> > That is icky. I would like a minimal install base with a docs add-on.
> > Is this a possibility for newui anaconda in the F18 time frame?
> >
> > Choose your environment Choose your add-ons
> >
> > Minimal Install Documentation
> >

> > Alternatively, include the man files in the Standard add-on?
> >

> > Chris Murphy
>
> Anaconda isn't going to do that unless there is rpm support to re-docify
> yourself. To accomplish this right now, every package would have to
> split out a -docs subpackage with all the docs in it. Anaconda /might/
> do what you want in the future, by way of kickstart commands, but that's
> not something we're going to expose in the UI.

Can't you just you reinstall a package without the nodocs switch/conf in
place to get the docs land on disk ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York

Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject.org> said:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 05:19:59PM -0700, J. Randall Owens wrote:
> > Just on the naming, I'd rather steer clear of the actual concept, let me
> > get this straight: You want a group called "adm", presumably short for
> > "administrator", the point of which is that it can view system things,
> > but not actually *administer* them? Why on Earth call it "adm"?
>
> The group is already there, so it's not a big stretch, but I agree the
> naming is confusing when used in this way.

All the more reason for it to be configurable (as wheel is), rather than
hard-coded.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 22:25 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 18:14 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > > That is icky. I would like a minimal install base with a docs add-on.
> > > Is this a possibility for newui anaconda in the F18 time frame?
> > >
> > > Choose your environment Choose your add-ons
> > >
> > > Minimal Install Documentation
> > >

> > > Alternatively, include the man files in the Standard add-on?
> > >

> > > Chris Murphy
> >
> > Anaconda isn't going to do that unless there is rpm support to re-docify
> > yourself. To accomplish this right now, every package would have to
> > split out a -docs subpackage with all the docs in it. Anaconda /might/
> > do what you want in the future, by way of kickstart commands, but that's
> > not something we're going to expose in the UI.
>
> Can't you just you reinstall a package without the nodocs switch/conf in
> place to get the docs land on disk ?

AIUI yeah, and that's what the duct tape solutions wind up being: figure
out all installed packages with docs that aren't installed, and
re-install them all.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Bill Nottingham

Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> >Maybe the definition of the fedora base set needs a bit of updating,
> >given that it considers rdisc, saslauthd, audit, dnsmasq, syslog, wpa
> >supplicant and sendmail basic. For container setups I need nothing of
> >that... (heck! for my non-containerized server I don't need that
> >either...)
>
> For minimal installs you also need a tool that can do automatic
> installation of dependencies. Otherwise the first thing every admin
> who installs minimal will have to do is to fetch down yum, python,
> etc to get themselves rolling. Maybe in the eventual future dnf,
> libzypp etc will be fetched down - but in either case minimal
> requires such a tool as part of it.

To describe them all:

- wpa & dnsmasq are brought in by NM
- rdisc is in the iputils package (basic networking)
- saslauthd is brought in by our lovely default MTA
- audit, sendmail, & rsyslog are explicit. (The latter two being
explicit help with depsolving fun, as we do want consistency there, rather
than getting whatever MTA & log daemon the depsolver spits out.)
rsylog would get pulled in by deps anyway; sendmail & audit wouldn't.

We can certainly have a smaller image base that consists of something like:

- systemd
- util-linux
- bash
- passwd
- initscripts

But, as Seth said, unless you want to preclue people modifiying it from
inside the chroot/image/installation by *not* including package management
tools, it grows pretty quickly. (Also, it's not that much smaller now, due
to things pulling in python, but bugs have been filed.)

Bill

Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Bill Nottingham

Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@0pointer.de) said:
> From the list of packages this minimal set still installs, that I'd
> really like to see gone:
>
> chkconfig

Mostly obsolete requirements not removed in systemd migration; probably
could stand to have some bugs filed.

> gamin

glib2.

> info

Already covered.

> systemd-sysv

iptables... bug already filed.

Bill

Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Bill Nottingham

Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger@gmail.com) said:
> in the past, anaconda's language settings were more about default
> localization, not about what locales should be installed. The package
> selection interface had separate packages for supporting some languages.
> So somewhere close to that screen might be more appropriate.
>
> rpm and yum should work with that setting.. I used to run with
> _install_langs set to three or less languages back in the early Fedora Core
> days.
>
> One issue is that there's not really a way for the sysadmin to change this
> "on the fly". ie: if anaconda installs with only one locale, the only way
> to then get the other locales is to change _install_langs and then reinstall
> the packages.

Also:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104783632 Sep 21 15:00
-/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive.tmpl

It's not as if _install_langs helps with that.

Bill

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Panu Matilainen