-   -   orphaning/retiring drivers for old Lexmark inkjet "GDI-only" printers (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/710125-orphaning-retiring-drivers-old-lexmark-inkjet-gdi-only-printers.html)

Kevin Kofler 10-06-2012 09:10 PM

Jiri Popelka wrote:
> I took over Lubomir Rintel's printing packages, investigated them and
> most of them are drivers to few old, cheap Lexmark inkjet printers.
> The drivers are reverse engineered because Lexmark was considering their
> proprietary protocol top secret.
>
> Here's the list of packages with printers that use them:
> lx: Lexmark 1000/1020/1100
> pbm2l2030: Lexmark 2030
> c2050: Lexmark 2050
> c2070: Lexmark 2070
> pbm2l7k: Lexmark 5000/7200/Z51/Z82
>
> If you happen to have such a printer and want to maintain any of these
> packages or you just know anybody still using this printer let me knew.
> Otherwise I'll retire them as I'd be surprised if there was any such
> working printer out there.

I think you should orphan them rather than retiring them, if you really
don't want to maintain them after all (even though I guess they aren't going
to get many, if any, updates). People still use old hardware. Give folks
time at least until the next mass retiring to pick those packages up.

Kevin Kofler